exposed x-ray film for naked eye solar viewing

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

exposed x-ray film for naked eye solar viewing

Post by neoterryjoe »

hi guys!
I was wondering if any one of you might know where its possible to get exposed x-ray films for solar viewing? I read that it must be a black and white film which is exposed and contains silver emulsion...

Thanks! :)

tj
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

I had (or may still have) some. But let me tell you this, it is not good enough, even for naked eye solar viewing. Even though it cuts down visible light, it still lets in UV light and can potentially damage your eyes.

Get a pair of cheap (but genuine) solar viewers:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.as ... 7&aid=5492

I am not sure if a good pair of welder's goggles may do the trick.
swimaniac

Post by swimaniac »

Joo Beng - Astro Bargains carry the Thousand Oaks solar viewer and card.
Swim or Sink
neoterryjoe

Post by neoterryjoe »

Thanks for the replies.. i read here that the films are ok..but have to be black and white types with silver emulsion..

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html

Yes, books say that wielder's mask of grade 14 is suitable...but i have a feel they will not be cheap..i need probably an abundance for a few people.. preferably not expensive.. :) how much will the Thousand Oaks' be?

tj
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Take a look here:

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/annular ... .html#safe

Apparently some B&W film uses dye and not silver. To be on the safe side, get one of those solar viewing cards.
neoterryjoe

Post by neoterryjoe »

hmm...seems like the welder's mask may be a good alternative if its cheap.. Anyone knows where is a good place to get? Or the 1000 Oaks' 1ft sq. solar viewing film at 50 bucks is also a good idea..

tj
rlow

Post by rlow »

After reading an old S&T magazine, I made my own solar filters by developing and washed some B&W 35mm film in my school photo lab many years ago. There are three important points to note:

1. Fully expose and develop/wash only black & white film, NOT colour film.
2. Use two layers together. Cut strips of at least 8 inches so it can be held it with both hands and to cover both eyes safely.
3. Observe through it only for 15 seconds block, rest your eyes before viewing through it again.

I did try finding welding glass #14 sometime ago but the darkest grade I could find was only #12, which is not safe enough for solar observation.
Richard Low
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Don't risk your eye... Just get the A4 size from Thousand Oaks Solar Filter Astro Scientific la... they are selling at S$29 the last time I checked (early this year)... might be different pricing now, but should still be the cheapest options.... you can call and check with them about the pricing.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Don't risk your eye... Just get the A4 size from Thousand Oaks Solar Filter Astro Scientific la... they are selling at S$29 the last time I checked (early this year)... might be different pricing now, but should still be the cheapest options.... you can call and check with them about the pricing.
My eyes are still fine after using this DIY solar filter for more than 10 years, so I believe it is safe enough as long as it is used properly. Risk is always there with any solar filter which can be accidentally removed. Nowadays I prefer using the thousand oaks type 2+ filter on a scope and PST.

The black polymer filter sheet is still $29 but currently out of stock.
Richard Low
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

How many do you need? I have a few solar eclipse black polymer viewers, if you are interested (ordered in bulk due to min. qty requirements).
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]