Building an observatory

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
VinSnr
Administrator

Building an observatory

Post by VinSnr »

Hi guys,

Does anyone has any recommendation to any observatories contractor in Msia/Singapore? I am thinking of building a simple observatory in my backyard home in JB.

I am thinking of a few options, most importantly it must be lockable and secure. I need someone to build a simple foundation and a pier as well.

Any recommendation would be good.

Thanks
rlow

Post by rlow »

I have some plans (drawings) for building obsevatories, perhaps it may be useful to you. Maybe I can offer some help on the design too, if you like.
Richard Low
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

No lack of talent in this field!

Remember Barry from down under or Wee Kiong who did the Condo with an Astro theme and even Albert from Astroscience too!

If you want to save on the money, Jean Yves built an aligned foundation in his garden and its a matter of mounting the OTA on it when he wants to observe. ..

[smilie=cool.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

rlow wrote:I have some plans (drawings) for building obsevatories, perhaps it may be useful to you. Maybe I can offer some help on the design too, if you like.
Hey thanks.

I just need some plans that a contractor can understand. I was thinking of making a simple foundation, then maybe get a skypod shed and save all the trouble. But in JB, a skypod will attract too much attention and hence theft. So a roll off roof would be good too as it look like a normal shed.

Any ideas on this?
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

VinSnr wrote:
rlow wrote:I have some plans (drawings) for building obsevatories, perhaps it may be useful to you. Maybe I can offer some help on the design too, if you like.
Hey thanks.

I just need some plans that a contractor can understand. I was thinking of making a simple foundation, then maybe get a skypod shed and save all the trouble. But in JB, a skypod will attract too much attention and hence theft. So a roll off roof would be good too as it look like a normal shed.

Any ideas on this?
I thought there was a singastroian showing his home made Roll Off Roof sometime back here. Forgotten who.

You probably can get a no. of General Building contractor, Roof contractor and even Aluminium contractor in Malaysia for low cost fabrication. As long as you give them a general drawing & requirement there should be able to do for you. A basic manual 10x6x8' roll-off with foundation & pier with Zinc & Al materials may cost you around S$10-12k estimated.
kayheem

Re: Building an observatory

Post by kayheem »

VinSnr wrote:Hi guys,

I am thinking of a few options, most importantly it must be lockable and secure. I need someone to build a simple foundation and a pier as well.

Thanks
It must be big enough to accommodate maybe, 6-8 of us when we do go visit your observatory :-)
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Lee wrote:
VinSnr wrote:
Hey thanks.

Any ideas on this?
I thought there was a singastroian showing his home made Roll Off Roof sometime back here. Forgotten who.

You probably can get a no. of General Building contractor, Roof contractor and even Aluminium contractor in Malaysia for low cost fabrication. As long as you give them a general drawing & requirement there should be able to do for you. A basic manual 10x6x8' roll-off with foundation & pier with Zinc & Al materials may cost you around S$10-12k estimated.
If really SGD10-12K, I think I might as well get a skypod shed....

I hope they think it's a mosque and hence won't come and burglar me.
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

VinSnr wrote:
Lee wrote:
VinSnr wrote: Hey thanks.

Any ideas on this?

If really SGD10-12K, I think I might as well get a skypod shed....

I hope they think it's a mosque and hence won't come and burglar me.
You can get a green skypod and maybe liase with the nearby mosque head to help them watch out for the Earliest New Moon date & time. I'm sure it will be appreciated. Currently I think some of them got the New Moon data from their East Coast Observatories. (Terengganu State)
Tachyon

Re: Building an observatory

Post by Tachyon »

kayheem wrote:
VinSnr wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks
It must be big enough to accommodate maybe, 6-8 of us when we do go visit your observatory :-)
Yes, and add in air-conditioning... very important in our climate! Heh...
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

no need rm10k lah...

questions:
backyard?
how high are the nearby buildings?
how much of the sky can you see?
do you need an elevated platform? if it's not elevated, a roll-off is easy...
how far is the light that you can't switch off and how high is it? that decides the design to help block out the light...
how big you need/want the obs to be? keeping optics in the obs is not really an option... unless you keep a dry box in there...
what else you want to store in there? if you want to keep camera and pc in there... good luck in jb... if just weights and mount, books, chairs, table, etc. should be ok... they are too heavy or dont-know-what-it-is for most thieves to be interested...