Did anyone ever modify a GP mount?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
michael

Did anyone ever modify a GP mount?

Post by michael »

hi,

anyone modified GP mount before? its can be done but think twice it can be turn into worst. can have a test trial. hmm..$$$..

vixen mount design. thinking ---some things [smilie=ahaaah.gif]

Image[/img]

hay guys don't think i have change my mind again. it is only for some creative idea.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

What do you want to modify? Why would you want to modify an original Vixen GP mount? It is quite good already.

However, if you want to modify a GP-clone e.g. Skywatcher CG-5, take a look at:

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

I agree with kayheem. The Vixen mounts are pretty good already...there is no need to modify.

If you want to modify, you should modify the CG5 or CG5 clones.

Before you modify even the CG5, I suggest you understand the whole process first. I did modify a LXD55 mount before (CG5 clone) basically to remove the sticky grease, smoothen out the bearings and adjust the worm to reduce backlash. But re-assembling back can be a nightmare. So know what you need to do beforehand and be extremely patient in each step.
michael

Post by michael »

i like its worm gear and its perfection for smooth. i was wondering if ther is a possiblities. but not so easy to do. they are professionals and we are just only amture. so no question about it.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi.All Vixen EQ mount fans,
One of the important modification you can do on the SP mount/Gp mount(Superpolaris mount),both the Vixen or the Celestron version(the difference is there is a protruding stop beside the 1/4-20 screw) is to get a Al plate and made a adapter to mount a dovetail saddle(your choice-Vixen or Losmandy) so that mounting a telescope or a bino will be fast and easy.
The second is to tighten or loosen the gear and then alter the orientation of the mount and turn this into a ALT-AZ mount(without counterwt)For scope safety,you can swing front for only 90 degrees, but no limit vertically. The beauty of this configeration is that you have no counterwt to take care off and it become a grab and go mount(of wt approx 8kg with tripod leg).Maxload is less than 8 kg.Thanks
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,EQ mount fans,
Lastly,I think the manufacturer of astro mounts are sometimes too much.A mount cost thousands/hundreds when new,but these guys uses steel or iron screw that will last a year or so,then turn rusty.If these rust falls on the lens it will spoil the lens;and even if it doesnt, it makes handling the mount/equipment a dirty task.
You can upgrade your scope/mount by changing all exposed screws,knob to stainless steel ones and this will make handling your equipment a joy.The cost of changing is not much--at most about $70 per mount--the real devil is the transport cost(to and fro) for the various journey to get the screw.You cant do it all at once.Screws have to be changed one by one to prevent the mount from falling apart.Thanks.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

I have the Vixen Sphinx and the EQ6. The only rust I see are on the counterweight and tripod legs. I do not have a rust problem with the rest of the mount. Is this a big problem?

How can rust from the mount get to the objective lens???
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,EQ mount fans
Rust problems will only surface after perhaps 5 years of heavy use of the mount and some screws dont rust because they are heavily chromed-no way to tell.;however its better to be safe than be sorry sometimes.Moreover some OTA do come with iron screw and even if it does rust on the inside you cant see. As I had said its amatter of personal choices.You should see some of the mount and scope sent back to astro-scientific centre for "servicing" to appreciate.Thanks.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yap... some parts of the mount will rust after long use, but usually will not affect the operation or cause any problem and I don't think you need to send them for servicing if you used them regularly. The gear will not usually rust as some of them are make of bass and all are heavily grease. Anyway, IMHO, if you use them, the rust will usually not cause any problem... but if you never use them for very, very long time, the rust might cause parts to be jammed.

By the way, this does not only applied to EQ mount... basically anything make of iron, steel will have this issue.
You should see some of the mount and scope sent back to astro-scientific centre for "servicing" to appreciate.
I think some of the items you saw that in super rusty condition are the one that drop into the sea or basically not been in used for yearsssss... may be you can also find spider web in them... ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: