Where to get mylar sheets for mirrors?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
qinjuehang

Where to get mylar sheets for mirrors?

Post by qinjuehang »

I'm not really looking for solar filter kinds, it just needs to reflect well (hint, hint). I am actually doing a research project on telescopes, and I need to find mylar sheets with mirror-like finishes, but have absolutely no idea on where to get them. So any ideas, anyone? I don't mind solar filter film, but are large sheets actually available (and can i afford them? Budget is under $50)

The film would be used for a mirror, so smooth reflections are probably the top priority in choosing. I would be starting off with a proof of concept first, possibly about as large as a soda can, and sizing up.
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

I ordered mine online from the States. I think it cost me about $35.00 inclusive of airmail and arrived in about 7 days. There are about 4 or 5 in the box. Not bad for the price I think.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

My $0.02 is it will likely not work very well if at all. Mylar is really not uniform enough to be employed as a mirror, unless you're setting maybe a 1 meter diameter assembly and won't be using it for visual use..but even then.

If you spend some time staring at a sheet of reflective mylar you'll see how serious the distortion of the reflections is. I doubt it would be worth the effort, even if you do a crazy amount of post processing.

For smaller applications a more fun (and productive) DIY project would be to grind and polish your own mirror.

Its possible though highly unlikely that such a grade of reflective mylar exists but I've never seen it before.

If you're dead set on trying, you can look to larger plant nurseries, and hydroponic supply stores locally, most should carry reflective mylar.
qinjuehang

Post by qinjuehang »

I believe it is quite possible to manufacture such a sheet, and I'm therefore still going to try to get one. Whether you will need a custom order it or something, I might to do more research.