Work In Progress - Open Air Observatory

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I say the challenges of keeping the scope outside is so large its better to just have it safe in the house and haul it out when you need to use it.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Last Saturday my Omni 150 XLT saw first light in my new open air observatory.

It was not such a hassle to bring my scope down onto the roof terrace and I am glad for the advice given by all here.

See link for a set of 5 photos with descriptions of each:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23635422@N ... 858078942/

The black light shroud/screen would be tauter the next time I set it up.

At 2am on Sunday morning, Jupiter crept pass my roof and came into view. That was the first time my scope was trained on the big planet. All my few previous experiences were with the moon.

Seeing was not very good but I could still make out the 4 bands and the Red Spot at 230x. It took my breath away. The view was a far cry from my 60mm Tasco refractor during the 80s.

My wife's reaction of the view was a bit disappointing to me as she had been spoilt by the huge and gorgeous views of the moon till then.

And speaking about moons, I saw more than 4 moons - 6 actually. Are the other 2 Jupiter's moons as well?

My view is basically north to north east. Perhaps sometime in the future, I will strike 4D and/or TOTO and use the windfall to convert the attic into an observatory with north and south views of the sky.

I will need to get a foldable table next and the solar powered table lamp from Ikea to be wrapped in red cellophane paper for logging all my observations.

Thanks for reading.