Where to cut metal?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
ebeyonder

Where to cut metal?

Post by ebeyonder »

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get a piece of metal tray (those used in dry cabinets) cut?

I need to cut it as it is too long to fit all the way in a particular position. The segment to be cut away measures about 28cm by 5cm.

Fuller details here if you are interested: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630228

I have a very kind offer to help with the cutting using a saw, but if I can, I would like it to be cut by a commercial source so as not to unduly trouble others. If you need where I can get a precision-cut job please let me know. (In fact don't have to be too precise; a rough cut will do.)

Many thanks.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

you could use a Dremel with cutting wheel. Will take ages, but if you're careful the results are quite clean.

PC case modders use Dremels a lot for these types of jobs.
ebeyonder

Post by ebeyonder »

Many thanks for the suggestion!

However, as far as possible, I would like to bring the metal tray somewhere to be cut. That would save me the time and trouble of doing it myself. If there are any other suggestions, those would be appreciated :)
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

there are quite a few rows of metal fabrication shops in the Paya Ubi area (where the car / motorbike repair shops are)

I'm sure if you catch them when they're free they will cut for you for a token sum.

Basically anywhere with a miter saw, or if you're daring an angle grinder can do it for you, but some of these shops have full stamping presses and pneumatic cutters.

Actually if I was feeling reckless a large enough pair of metal snips and a lot of sandpaper could probably get the job done also, heh.
ebeyonder

Post by ebeyonder »

Thanks for the tip, Fuzzy. I went down to Paya Ubi today and got a shop to do it for me for a fee.

If it will help anyone in the future, the shop is:

MetalSigns Pte Ltd
Blk 3024 Ubi Rd 3 #01-59
S 408652