Mount for a 5" DIY refractor (was : Another newbie)

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
MightyFinisher

Post by MightyFinisher »

Hi Superior Stream. I'm basically a late bloomer so I give myself kudos for going back to a childhood project and finishing it. Your right--the lens is achromatic--but I think very high quality for it's era. Don't really have a basis of comparison to lenses of more recent variety, but I felt the light gathering & image quality to be quite nice. I have also seen many celestial events in the 40 year interim. Up until 1989 was in the US and had a 3" refractor. 1989 - 2007 was in Japan with only binoculars, but did enjoy spectacular meteor showers. Been in Singapore only one year, so I appreciate this online community. Cheers!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,MightyFinisher
Good to hear that you had not wasted those precious moments all these years and also fulfil your childhood dream of making your own astronomical instrument finally.That the way pal.Keep the spirit high and lots of wonderful events in the sky awaits us.Thanks.
MightyFinisher

Post by MightyFinisher »

Thanks for the encouragement!
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

Well done Mightyfinisher ....... now it is time for me to look at kit projects lying around for long time
MightyFinisher

Post by MightyFinisher »

Thanks!