Mount for a 5" DIY refractor (was : Another newbie)

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
MightyFinisher

Mount for a 5" DIY refractor (was : Another newbie)

Post by MightyFinisher »

Hello all. I've popped in for a few months as a guest and finally signed up.

Finished a 40 year telescope building project last year--well, got the lens and other parts when I was a kid and finally put it all together. I'll poke around on the FAQs and elsewhere, but I need help to figure out what to do for a mount.

It's a 5" RFT refractor. Field of view and light gathering is quite stunning. I've only used as hand-held so far but can't wait to get a proper mount. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

WOW...forty years in the making. I'm sure is stunning overall!! pics?? Welcome from a newbie to!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

thats long enough.. keep the passion burning!
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
yybmage

Post by yybmage »

40 years, i bet ir is a excellent one!
Blast off!!!!!!!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

welcome to Singastro...40 years is certainly a lonnnnnnnng time to complete a project :)
Have moved your post to the appropriate forum so that the experts can give their advice...
Cheers
[smilie=cool.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

What is the diameter of the Optical Tube Assembly?

It will probably be a little easier if its a common size.
MightyFinisher

Post by MightyFinisher »

Thanks, all, for your comments and encouragement. The OTA is exactly 5" OD.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi & welcome to Singastro!

I also recently completed my refractor project about one month ago - you can check it out in another thread I posted a few weeks ago.

Perhaps I could help you. It would be better if we arrange to meet up. After looking at your RFT, I can then offer you some advice for the appropriate mount/tripod.

Kindly check out the Private Message (PM) I just send you.
Richard Low
MightyFinisher

Post by MightyFinisher »

Read your PM and will contact you. Thanks!
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,MightyFinisher
Frankly I dont know what to comment when I see your post.Did you waited till you finish your scope building project to conduct your first observation.I hope not.First of all;if thats true then you had miss an aweful lot.2010 minus 40 yrs=around 1970.
You would have miss at least 3 partial eclipse visible in Singapore;at least 3 naked eye comet;numerous opposition of the planets and hundreds of opportunities to look at the star clusters;not to mention sunspots and those beautiful marking around the sunspots when it reaches the rim of the sun.Also,if you did acquire the lens around 1970s then most probably its a achromatic one only--for Apo are too expensive then;to the extend that even in 1990-5,a 4 in apo Vixen cost $5500.Now a 120mmf/5 cost only around $700 sing--so is it worth its value to forgo all these years of obs. to wait to be able to use this one lens.Lets hope you can make up the time lost by doing more obs and the heaven cooperate by sending us more comets!Thanks.