10" Truss Dob Build

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
10,000rpm

10" Truss Dob Build

Post by 10,000rpm »

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

I have "inherited" Arief's 10 inch f/6 Swayse mirror and Keyheem's unfinished truss dob project.

For the latter, these include the 2-piece PVC tubing, 6inch plastic alt bearings, University Optics cell, 2 inch Crayford focuser.

Carrying on from where Kayheem left off, my scope will have a 3 truss design.

I will post a sketch of what I have in mind for the truss which is a flat stainless steel or brass strip of sufficient rigidity and each with 2 mounting points on the lower tube and one on the UTA.

Marine ply will be used for the side boards and base so that it can take the 2-pack Spies Hecker paint job which a friend of mine will do. Thinking of deep red/maroon finish.

I am currently sourcing for a secondary mirror which I know i should get a good one so as not to compromise the primary mirror. I understand I need a 2 inch one and I am thinking of the one from Scope Stuff with enhanced coating and claimed 1/10 wave. Any idea if these are good enough?
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: 10" Truss Dob Build

Post by VinSnr »

10000rpm wrote:Gong Xi Fa Cai!

I have "inherited" Arief's 10 inch f/6 Swayse mirror and Keyheem's unfinished truss dob project.

For the latter, these include the 2-piece PVC tubing, 6inch plastic alt bearings, University Optics cell, 2 inch Crayford focuser.

Carrying on from where Kayheem left off, my scope will have a 3 truss design.

I will post a sketch of what I have in mind for the truss which is a flat stainless steel or brass strip of sufficient rigidity and each with 2 mounting points on the lower tube and one on the UTA.

Marine ply will be used for the side boards and base so that it can take the 2-pack Spies Hecker paint job which a friend of mine will do. Thinking of deep red/maroon finish.

I am currently sourcing for a secondary mirror which I know i should get a good one so as not to compromise the primary mirror. I understand I need a 2 inch one and I am thinking of the one from Scope Stuff with enhanced coating and claimed 1/10 wave. Any idea if these are good enough?
Get a Antares secondary mirror. For a Swayze mirror, get at least a 1/20 wave secondary mirror.
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Thanks VinSnr.

Antares does not list a 2 inch elliptical and I have enquired with them about it. Apparently they guarantee their wavelength claims which I am glad to see.

Below are the various parts that I have so far [mirror is kept safely away] and I will post updates as I go along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The size of the secondary is all depend on your design... basically the distance from secondary mirror to focal point of your design and the fully illuminated image size of your choice will determine the size of your secondary mirror.

Below is a link to a software to help Newtonian design:
http://www.dalekeller.net/ATM/newtonian ... wtsoft.htm

Happy building and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Yes I have used the Newt software n the results came out "None" for all issues and stating 2 inch for the secondary.

I forsee my biggest issue being the balance of the scope which I will find out when it is more or less done.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

10000rpm wrote:Yes I have used the Newt software n the results came out "None" for all issues and stating 2 inch for the secondary.

I forsee my biggest issue being the balance of the scope which I will find out when it is more or less done.
Possible to use a 1.83"? Without trying the software, I think it is possible...but may have to use a low profile focuser.
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Yes I hope I can use a 1.83. Will make a ray trace and check it out as suggested by Kayheem.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
10000rpm wrote:Yes I hope I can use a 1.83. Will make a ray trace and check it out as suggested by Kayheem.
I also think that a 1.83" secondary mirror should be possible since the focuser you had look like a low profile one.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

1.83" is more than big/bright enough for yours at 10" f/6, as it is also used for 10" f/5 dobs. 2.14" would be a little too big.

I would recommend you to get the Protostar ULS quartz secondary mirror, in my opinion, rather than the Antares version. Both are good, nevertheless.
Richard Low
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Thanks Richard. I have checked the Protostar website but it does not seem to state the wave PV. Other than that, it sounds impressive and apparently, Carl Zambuto's choice.
Last edited by 10,000rpm on Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.