Where to buy reclining deck chair?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

that DIY thing is similar to the Sky Window. the challenge is getting a large-enough first-surface mirror. the mirror has to be mounted on a perfectly flat large thing otherwise it will warp giving you headaches when you look thru your binos (i tried this...)

it's pretty good because you look down rather than up, sparing your neck a lot of pain. Oberwerk also made this (cheaper than tricomachine.com) called Oberwerk Binocular Mirror Mount.

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/mirror.htm
rlow

Post by rlow »

You get a mirror image, so star-hopping will be somewhat less intuitive. Also, image quality will be slightly reduced, ie, less bright, more scattering, less sharp, some astigmatism etc, though this depends on the mirror quality, mount robustness, magnification used and how observant your eyes can detect this. There are reasons why this did not become more popular. I prefer the direct view.
Richard Low
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Back on topic.. I saw some reclining deck chairs at Ikea yesterday. $39 a pop only.

@Richard, you're right the view will be less good, but it depends a lot on mirror quality. Also from a comfort perspective, it would be better to have a more comfortable position even if the optical quality is a bit less.

Of course the best option is a bino with 45* or 90* prisms.. but only the highest-end ones have that.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Also from a comfort perspective, it would be better to have a more comfortable position even if the optical quality is a bit less.
Even if you discount optical quality, you have to consider that it is not that easy to aim a bino with that mirror in front for star-hopping. For comfort, if you have smaller binos, just hold it and rest on a reclining deck chair (there... it is back on topic!). For bigger bino with angled prisms, the Vixen BT-80MA is a good one I would recommend.
Richard Low