where can buy Baltic Birch in SG?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
orly_andico

where can buy Baltic Birch in SG?

Post by orly_andico »

I've decided to give my 10" mirror another try, since buying a mount + C9.25 from the US is prohibitive (thanks to the shipping!)

Is there anyplace I can buy Baltic Birch or at least furniture-grade plywood here in SG? I called this place called Euro Veneer in Hougang (handy, close to where I live) but they didn't know what Baltic Birch is!!

Also I got some Meade DS motors and am planning to Autostar the Dob I'm reconstructing. Where can I get some nylon threaded rod?

Thanks....
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

What's your reason for wanting to use Baltic Birch? From what I have read, Baltic Birch was suggested by Kriege in his now default book for truss dob build for very large dobs like over 20 inch mirrors. At that size, u would want strong but yet light materials and Baltic Birch was thus recommended.

In any event, I don't think u can get this wood locally. Perhaps marine ply would be an alternative and it also offers a beautiful finish like Baltic Birch if that is also the reason u want to use it.

Cheers!
Last edited by 10,000rpm on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Am not familiar with the local marine ply. But marine ply in the Philippines has a pretty rough finish on one side.. hence my looking for better-looking wood. OTOH I can use 3.6mm veneer to cover the rough stuff...?
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Marine ply comes in various types of wood. As far as I know, locally you can get ones with nice finish. It cost about $75.00 for an 8 feet by 4 feet.