6 inch f/8 Skywatcher objective lens, truss refractor build

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

AwesomE~! Looks Lovely and did I say Awesome??...lol!

Wanted to visit this weekend, but the darn Flu virus got me!! Need to update my Anti-Virus probably tomorrow...meds yeeeuch!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
swimaniac

Post by swimaniac »

Great piece of DIY !!!!

Looking forward to invite myself to have a look and admire the piece of art you have there.
Swim or Sink
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Thank u again Timatworksg. Sorry to hear of your bug. U need a paid version of anti-virus!
Last edited by 10,000rpm on Sun May 16, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Any 1st light yet?? Tonite should be reasonable...so far.
Whatever the result...still a wonderful DIY. Nicely done, looks good and nice details...and it works...!!

**yah...I tried 'panadol-ware', Anti-Decolgen-ware,...guess I do need paid version from Raffles Med-ware (company doc)
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Thanks Vince. My scope and your mount looks like a marriage made in heaven! Appreciate it!

Hi Stuart and my neighbour from Pasir Ris, the lens looks promising based on a quick star test last night. The view was sharper and jewel like compared with my 6 inch Newtonian and collimation seems spot on based on outward out of focus test but it was with a low power [see below why] so it may not tell the whole picture.

I have a problem of having made the refractor a tad too long [despite measuring twice and cutting once] such that only my 2inch 34mm Siebert could come into focus with just a few mm to spare for inward travel.

I will be in the market for a 2 inch barlow to slot between the diagonal and focuser to push the focal length outwards and shorter focal lengths EPs can then be used.

Thankfully, my Siebert is as low as I would want to go for this scope for wide field views as it gives me 35x.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Great job, your hard work will pay off. [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif] [smilie=good-job.gif]
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Nice work. At least something different from the rest.

I know many DIY newtonians. You are probably one of the first to DIY a refractor...:P
10,000rpm

Post by 10,000rpm »

Many thanks Clifford and Vincent for the compliments.

My next [big] project is a 10 inch Swayze mirror truss dob but nothing as radical as this though!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Nice one Sarjeet. Looks like it can be converted to an air defence system in times of need!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets