Need 300mm internal diameter tube for 10" DIY Newtonian

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
dragoncai2008

Post by dragoncai2008 »

Hi all buddies. thanks for your valuable information. I am using CG4 now. but it may not fit for a heavy 10" tube. but will try to find any alternative lighter material. steel pipe might be too heavy, thus it's my last choice.

I am also trying to find a way to get these stuff from china. if price is ok, i will ask them to OEM for me. hehe.. will share with you any progress If I could make in the following months. once we have completed our big telescope, let us gather to show off our babies and do observation test.
I Like DIY.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

One idea I had is fabricate the tube yourself out of fibreglass.

There must be some place to buy fibreglass cloth in Singapore, right?

Fibreglass is easy enough to work (I built a rowboat out of plywood and fibreglass in my apartment in Manila... so I do have some experience with fabrication...)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

dragoncai2008 wrote:Hi all buddies. thanks for your valuable information. I am using CG4 now. but it may not fit for a heavy 10" tube. but will try to find any alternative lighter material. steel pipe might be too heavy, thus it's my last choice.

I am also trying to find a way to get these stuff from china. if price is ok, i will ask them to OEM for me. hehe.. will share with you any progress If I could make in the following months. once we have completed our big telescope, let us gather to show off our babies and do observation test.
Cool. Do share the DIY journey with pictures and report here. Then fufture newbies can learn from your experience [smilie=cute.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
dragoncai2008

Post by dragoncai2008 »

Hi Guys there, My 10" DIY latest status report:
I got my 10" main mirror & 70mm 2nd mirror from Mr.Sue, a China DIY mirror master. I am now in deep thinking whether to use Truss Frame or Tube. as I just found a good USA site that can provide you economical professional telescope tue, 2nd mirror+its mount+tube ring.. here is its website:http://www.fpi-protostar.com.
If I choose truss frame, someone has just made that a try, he's using the same mirror from Mr.Sue. web link:http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7271342075.

I am currently contacting this Beijing guy, to see If can ask him to customize my own truss tube. DIY such parts in Singapore is really a hard mission. :->).
I Like DIY.