DIY-Finder/Guide Scope

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Weee...FREE!!

My DIY Finder/Guidescope underwent a major upgrade as the screw in back had issues for me to hold the DSI cam in place. Also minor focussing adjustments weren't convenient. So some hack and slash had to happen!

Have a 3.25"x2" TeleVue Extender Tube (why I have this I dunno) and it's collar fits snugly into a 50mm PVC pipe tube! In fact all 2" accessories collars fit nicely into a 50mm PVC tube!! So sawed off the main PVC tube section leaving the 50mm Collar w/lens and a small portion of the 50mm Pipe tube main section.
In the pic, you see the DIY guidescope hacked with the TV tube and a 2" to 1.25" adapter.

Here's it all together! Length remeasured to ensure focal length is retained with a better hold onto the DSI cam with the adapter. Plus I can get the parts all back as nothing is glued. With the adapter, I can still push/pull for some minor focus,..though PHD guides best with soft focused stars.

So this is the final design. Attached to scope as per previous method of the clamp rings, but added a 'L' bracket for some extra space away from scope.
Also, a food for thought,....50mm pipes will slip onto a 2" accessory collar nicely! Clamp it down, put some vinyl tape or teflon tape for a secure hold if needed. With Croys FREE lenses....have a go!! I took the remaining lens, EP, prism and constructed a small telescope for my daughter complete mounting onto a small Freebie tripod which I had stowed away!!

Good Luck!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

HaHa! True...it kinda became a DIY to a DIY. But in the end,...still,...it cost helluva cheaper than similar guide scopes out there! I'm still way way below $100 bucks with the PVC, wrongly bought bits and the scraps where from months gone by. This versus actually buying one ready made 2-3 times the cost....NAH,,,,this simple and very possible DIY is so much more fun and better!
If anyone has a 50mm lens and can't get the pipes/collar, lemme know. I could get them for you (if in stock) since the Hardware store is a 'Toys R Us' for most Saturday morning walks.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Free!?
I want....
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Prism are fun! I still have one, deciding what to make outta it! Gotta go grab some spray paint to finish of the guidescope.
Next DIY is the Balcony Planter box pier for a perm set up with extra sky view!