Question on PhD

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
orly_andico

Question on PhD

Post by orly_andico »

hi guys,

I got around to trying PhD on my robotized Great Polaris. Works great with the ASCOM 5.0.3 drivers.

I just have one question: there is a persistent error in DEC (which I think is due to polar misalignment). PhD lets it get pretty large before doing a correction, then the error starts building up again.

Is there some setting to make PhD guide in DEC more aggressively? or is the only solution to do a precise polar alignment?

orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

stuart,
thanks... right now I do have a sawtooth pattern in DEC, but it's a very gentle sawtooth pattern where one "tooth" is more than the width of the graph window.

will try the larger integration period when i get back to SG..

I was using the Zenithstar 70 as my guider (with no payload...) so the FL was 420mm.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I'm actually going to use a camera lens as my guider... probably a 135/2.8? or is a 50mm enough? I saw this article claiming that a 50mm is enough for almost any useful purpose because guiding to within 0.2 pixel is possible... but I'm not getting < 0.2 pixel guiding...

OTOH I could retain using the Z70 as the guider and image through the 135mm... keep my exposures and FL shorter to improve my chances of getting good subs...
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

thanks stuart...

i don't intend to image at long FL's, the 420mm of the Z70 is enough for me (and will get even shorter if i get a reducer). well... hopefully the clouds will go away sooner or later.