DIY project#2-Perm Pier

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Sorry for lack of updates, but finally have my ideal setting for Home Ob/Astro Imaging. Basically satisfied with the whole deal!
Will be posting pics soon on the complete set up. So stay tuned!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

yeah~
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Grabbed some shots of my DIY Balcony Planter Box Pier in action over the weekend. Sorry for quality but took this in the dark so you know how bad Light Pollution is from my balcony on the 2nd Floor! Will be posting a daytime pic so you can identify whats in use...for now this is what it looks like when I am imaging or Ob'ing!

* This is the set up basically. Orion Sirius EQ-G on the pier which is anchored into the planter box. WO Megrez88SD with Baader 10x60 finder piggyback. Atik manual filter wheel with Starshoot DSCI II. Meade DSI is in the Baader as guide cam. The little tupperware box on the window sill keeps all the electronics and cables (GPUSB, powered USB Hub, cables to mount and cams and the power adapters). This way I just open the box, plug them all in and last connect to laptop! Still needs improvement but improvements to come. The lamp glow you see is the Street light from the opposite side of Loyang Avenue!

* Light Pollution Problem #1!!! I sometimes wish to shoot it!!! It's a park lamp just below my block! Sometimes it goes out! Often I wish to knock it out!!!

* View from inside my home. You can roughly make out the multi socket adapter on the window sill on the right where the AC adapters of the powered USB hub and mount go into! Also my laptop is plugged into there. The cable running across the wall in the middle is the single USB from the powered USB hub into the laptop. All signals go in/out through that one cable! Laptop is a Dell XPS. Table is makeshift...and gonna change it to something foldable for easier storage and a less cluttered balcony!!

So thats the set up at work. Light Pollution and all! But through this I have taken some satisfactory shots as you can view in the Astrophotgraphy section. It's a case of timing things so targets are at about 30degrees up,..then my scope points away from the stray light! I also have a small cupboard at the balcony that houses my baby girls shoes, old newspapers, my toolbox and 2 shelves with my Astro spares, counterweight and the adapters and stuff that don't need to be in the dry Cab!

If you have questions, feel free to ask about the set up. It's always on a constant improvement to minimize my set up time as much as possible.
When not in use, the mount and 3/4 of the pier is covered with a reflective canvas cover, and then 2 ordinary black plastic bags, then velcro around the mid section and at the base of the pier itself. No issues on rust or tarnishing. I clean the mount about every week/when in use and grease the bolts and all external moving parts every month. Withstood the Monsoon month of December and the wailing winds too!!

Hope you like it!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

you are inspiring me to convert my extension room to an ob room. lol
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Nice!! so convenient !!