DIY project#2-Perm Pier

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

Very nice Tim, I am very inspired to do the same for my place. Although I stay on a high floor, however, my views are blocked by surrounding flats, but the good thing is that there is a good opening between flats facing due east so I am able to catch planets rising. Or at least catch them when they rise above the flats.

Just one question, not sure if you know the answer. There is a ledge outside my window, wide enough to do something what you did but perhaps I only need 1/2 to 1/3 of the length that you did. But is it legal? Will I get into trouble with HDB for "vandalising" my window ledge?
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

@Tungkian - Thanks bro!!

@ andeelym

Afraid so! The ledge wouldn't be advisable as it is 'outside the boundary' of your home. And as the rule states, anything that sticks out too much is considered potential 'killer litter'...then again isn't long bamboo poles with heavy clothing the same??...lol!
Since your already on a high floor you may not need to stick the scope out as much as I did!

My suggestion would be (something I considered once) are pipe flanges. This can be fabricated at metal/pipe shops and you basically need a 90degree elbow pipe and 2 flanges. Nothing huge in diameter as the metal is thick enough. If you look around your estate you would often see these elbow joints sticking out from somewhere. Then mount it inside you home against the wall of your window. Make the top plate and align the flange holes for the bolts. Doubles as a window side bar table...lol!!
The trick is to mount the head as close to the window as possible to maximize the FOV. Some compromises have to be made but small trade off! Then it's just timing your obs!

If your really keen to do so, lemme know and I'll see what I can help you with. If your confirmed, I can get the same guy to quote the fabrication. Expect something in the region of $100 to $200 at max! Metal isn't cheap now! Besides, long run, small investment really for a perm set up!

With my current set up, all I need to do now is find a suitable cover, solve the counterweight issue and most importantly, align it southwards and lock it in forever!

Anyway, haven't been able to full test it! Last night the brain was willing but the body was not. Have to wait for another clear night!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Updates to the Pier.

Did some re-drilling of the anchor bolts to reposition the pier, solving the counterweight hitting the top plate issue. Kinda miscalculated on the space for the counterweight swing initially...ah well happens!

So took the easier (but tiring) route and re-drilled the anchor holes. If anything one hole was the most problematic and I couldn't get the full depth needed. So the Pier is a little slanted, which isn't a prob as the top plate can be adjusted level for the mount head. Everything is back in place and I can live with the slant...though it can be obvious..lol! But that doesn't effect anything. Stability is still there and most of all rigid!

Anyhow, through the tiredness I managed to squeeze in a little test AP on Sunday morn.
You can find the unguided/unaligned image here:
http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?p=62445#62445

Now that the pier is in the proper position and counterweight issue solved (PHEW!!) I can proceed with full alignment and find a suitable cover.
Alot of passersby have looked up and eyes bulging!! A few understood...most probably thought it was a weapon!! HAHA!

Lastly....if anyone is interested in making one or need some ideas,..please feel free to ask! Since I have a contractor who can help out...I'd be happy to assist in anyway!!

Till then, it's on to DIY project#3!!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
andeelym

Post by andeelym »

I am definitely interested in doing what you did. I guess I will use my window ledge. I'll take some photos with measurements for you to take a look if its feasible. Since this is bolted down, I guess it can be considered safe bah. Anyhow, let me ask around if it could be done.

Thanks for sharing your DIY project and its been inspiring. :)
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Photos will help explain further your set up! I PM'ed you so lemme know ya! I see where I can help!
Ever considered a clamp down system? That's another possibility. Can be just as stable and strong. It's all in the design.

Only hope to inspire where I can. DIY can be frustrating yet rewarding no matter what the results are. I have tons which need constant revisions and re-planning. Even my Guidescope is under changes...lol!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Well I would like to add here a Big Thank you!! [smilie=bye2.gif] [smilie=embarrassed.gif]

To all that have passed through here and read this. Personally I enjoy Handywork and have many things at home DIY'ed! Even at work, if I'm not teaching, I'm tearing some operational equipment up and giving it some good ole' TLC.

I only did this pier to try if such a set up is possible. Lots of thinking, drawing and dreaming went into this...lol! Glad it came to fruit, though with some mis calculations.

Will post soon when I have it completely set up, with scope, cables, guider, laptop and everything for a complete look. My Balcony has become something new now! Needs more plants to finish of the look!

So any questions, of need any help, I'd be willing to lend a hand in any way I can. Feel free to ask or PM!!

Thanks again!!
Tim
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Sorry guys and gals, no updates as yet due to bad weather and bad timing. Hopefully next week I can finally do my alignment and proper test! So far the protection of reflective padded cover and a black sheet works well. Just gotta maintain the anchor bolts with grease from the elements.

Will update once weather clears!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Just an update on the Balcony pier set up!

Drift alignment was done over a course of several nights using the 80ED, DSI cam and Startarg running Envisage on my laptop. I can now rest assured knowing the star won't drift north or south in the EP...loL!

Have not done much AP as was in and outta SG for work...but now that I am on dry ground again...it's cloudy!! But awaiting to give the set up a complete test as I just received the IOptron ST4 adapter which now...finally gives the GOTONova EQ kit a ST4 port!! Awaiting the GPUSB (courtesy of Orly..thanks bro) and all should be good for a full test. Fingers crossed for clear skies this weekend!!

Till then.....
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

seriously when i saw the photos.. i'm speechless.. its amazing~!
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Thanks Bergkamp! Nothing huge seriously....just a case of wanting to be home and enjoy my hobby without the hassle of carrying anything heavy, a low floor and light pollution but convenience and practical for someone who is a little lazy, needs to wake up early and less to pack up...lol!

Will post updated pics soon once I have all electronics complete!

On a side note...anyone thought of using a good quality heavy wood bar stool?? Saw one at a furniture shop and first thing that came into my mind....Pier+tripod!! With 4 holes, a top plate will look unique...haha!