Condemned bino = 2 scopes + 2 eyepieces

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Chris

Condemned bino = 2 scopes + 2 eyepieces

Post by Chris »

It have been months since Croys had passed me his condemed bino, but due to A levels, I had limited time to spare.
Since I have tanked through 80% of hell already, and the chem MCQ is 6 days away, I feel exceptionally bored and of course free.

After unscrewing the parts that can be unscrewed, and melting through the plastic obstructions with a red-hot knife, I classified the components into 2 groups. Those which can be binned (bino body, rings, greasy parts) and those which can be of use (Objective lense, bino eyepieces, prisms, spare screws). The prisms are kind of for fun.

re-Construction of the eyepieces:

A little bit of work is needed, especially putting the elements back together and glueing them to a 1.25 inch tube (obtained from the bino).

The eyepieces sloted nicely into a telescope diagonal. In this picture, I compared them with a stock 20mm eyepeice from the celestron first scope.

Comparing the views of the DIYed eyepieces and the 20mm eyepeice, I was astonished. The DIYed eyepeices not only gave an approximately 50% wider feild of view, it gave better contrast and color. Moreover, the DIYed eyepeices comes with eyecups. Thus, these are IDEAL for public obs session or sidewalk, as it costed me literally nothing.

As for the 50mm lens, this is the end result...

I made the scope with 1. a tuna can 2. an emptied rubbing alcohol bottle 3. epoxy resin. I filled in the gaps between the can and bottle with epoxy resin.

As for the eyepeice, it is a 0.925inch one, which i bought for 10 dollars. I stuck some used guitar strings (steel wire) in front of it, hence creating a reticule eyepiece. This may not look like much, but here is a photo snapped from my handphone camera...

Of course, it can be modified to fit other eyepieces.

In the light of the unpredictable skies, I don't think I will be walking around with a 10inch dobsonian. This more compact version of the galileo scope will serve as back up, a finder scope in the drier months and I predict it will also draw lots of comments from the public like : "You made a scope?".
Gary

Post by Gary »

Cool! I will never look at a tuna can the same way again. LOL. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

good example of what can be done with some ingenuity & creativity [smilie=good-job.gif]
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Di Addario .9 guage Steel string guitar wire??...lol!

Nice work with some DIY there! Shows just whats possible with some thinking and tinkering! You gotta love Epoxy!!

As a side note...you can grab metal filings and mix it with Epoxy before adding hardener. Mix it up to a solution where the filings are all nicely mixed in. Then add hardener and shape as desired.
Got this idea off some website in the states and used it at work to repair a chipped corner off a compressor block. Has held up through the vibrations, heat and air compressing for months!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yeah. But i would consider painting the inside black though. I am working on the other lense. Will post the finished scope up in about a week's time.