Orly's truss dob

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Chris

Orly's truss dob

Post by Chris »

It have been some time since I inherited Orly's half completed truss dob from Gary. Finally, after spending an afternoon on it, it is finally operational. Here is the completed scope:

The thing that is unique about this scope is that the secondary cage is attached to the truss not by screws nor clamps, but by strings, and tension...
(I didn't have enough time to drill and properly make the clamps, need to use it for a star party tomorrow.) It is actually quite steady, and can definitely work out. Can;t test it today due to new scope curse.

2 arrays of strings, one vertical to lift the cage up, and the other horizontal to stabilize the lateral motion.

I know, the scope do not look that stable, but this is just the quick solution for the moment, and the scope is NOT portable. Thus, I will be making a newer one after I get tired of all the post A-lvls playing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Beautiful! Time to add GOTO. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

Good effort ! I am sure you enjoyed yourself building
the telescope ,is the scope built from scratch or
assembled from kit? [smilie=good-job.gif]
Chris

Post by Chris »

Orly had the mirrors cell and cage done. I think he built it from scratch. I just figured out how to make the azimuth axis and the attachment of the secondary cage.
wintertriangle22

Post by wintertriangle22 »

Idea of using strings to hold together parts of truss telescope is unique,
usually nuts & bolts are used to hold together telescope components