Super Portable Newtonian Idea...

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Super Portable Newtonian Idea...

Post by Airconvent »

Here is a cool Newtonian one can built, especially Kay Heem or Chuang Yee!
Of course, if you are too lazy...just buy the it ...:D
One thing to note that we should not be deceived by its size. Its 8" , so should be fairly big. I'm thinking why not a 6" instead? Then it will be ideal.
I don't see any slomo control, so I assume its properly balanced and works like a dob, but the size of eyepieces would be limited...

http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=269487
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
kayheem

Re: Super Portable Newtonian Idea...

Post by kayheem »

Airconvent wrote:Here is a cool Newtonian one can built, especially Kay Heem or Chuang Yee!
Of course, if you are too lazy...just buy the it ...:D
One thing to note that we should not be deceived by its size. Its 8" , so should be fairly big. I'm thinking why not a 6" instead? Then it will be ideal.
I don't see any slomo control, so I assume its properly balanced and works like a dob, but the size of eyepieces would be limited...

http://www.astromart.com/viewad.asp?cid=269487
Hi Rich,

Yes, I have seen a pic of the beast on that website. I notice that the altitude hubs are pretty small. Unless you have some kind of a friction lock of sorts, you are limited by the weight of eyepieces you can use.

If you want ideas, you can look for an old issue of S&T 1-2 years ago which give very good suggestions for a portable 6" scope. In fact, I do have the parts of a portable light scope which I do not have time to finish up. It is still lacking the swivel base. I am currently devoting my limited time to the 10" dob. I am seriously thinking of selling of the parts for the smaller dob OTA. Any takers? :D

Kay Heem