DIY Field Laptop Stand

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
cataclysm

DIY Field Laptop Stand

Post by cataclysm »

Here is another cloudy nights project, a real simple device to make and also inexpensive, more so if you have a spare tripod. This may seems at first a bit superfluous to implement in the field, especially when you have tons of equipments to haul for an imaging session. But once I put it out on a field testing, I like it a great deal!
Laptop has become an integral part of an imaging setup, so vital because it controls your camera, mount and other ancillary devices, that leads to many cables connecting to it and can made quite a mess in the field. Normally I would hunch over the laptop when I placed it on a stool or over a Pelicase, not a very comfortable position. With the stand, I can level it on ideal positions and really makes focusing and centering your targets with your laptop a great deal easier.
Making it couldn't be easier, the platform is fashioned from a Bamboo cutting board purchased from Ikea. Apart from being aesthetically pleasing to look at, the Bamboo material is light and stiff, and being originally used as kitchen utensil, its oil stained and waterproofed, unlike fabricated from plywood, it will not de-laminate when exposed to moisture.

Here are some pictures:

Plastic Dovetail on the underside
In stow position
Hooks were made from the same material on the bottom to secure the laptop
And here, actual use in the field at Punggai from recent trip
And here a setup near home
kensou

Post by kensou »

very nice setup! :o
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Awesome job bro! I like DIY's that are practical and helpful! You just solved the 'grow old back pain' that we may have as grow older with the hobby...lol!

Great choice of wood, from IKEA. Yes they do have useful stuff that can be incorporated into many DIY projects everywhere. After all...IKEA's concept is not only flat pack, but each item can be used in any part of the house! Just have to think outta the box!

Inspires me to solve my Balcony AP table...just got to be able to take a 16" laptop load..lol!

Good Job!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!