Tripod stand

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
mch3898

Tripod stand

Post by mch3898 »

I recently bought the Atlas Mount and found that leveling the tripod stand is not easy. Before this, I was using the Sirius Mount and it being lighter, I was able to manage by lifting each leg and adjust manually. It was tedious. But with the Atlas, it is not only tedious but after a few adjustments, it just became impossible to get the leveling done correctly.

With an idea from Joo Beng (of AstroBargains), I got myself a set of mini Mechanic Jacks and hooked up a jig as shown. Now I can easily do the leveling without much sweat - even able to fine-tuned the level! I have used it a few times already and the set-up seemed to be working ok.

Just to share and any suggestions for improvements are welcomed.

Recently found a jig from TPI (http://www.tpiastro.com/) and am tempted to get it - but expensive. But so far my DIY, though rough, is serving its function, so I am holding.

christopher
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Nice work Chris! Glad it came to fruit! All you need is to do some sanding and then a good coat of Varnish/sealer. Put a flat ply on top and it can make a nice Garden Japanese table..lol!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
mch3898

Post by mch3898 »

Ha,ha, Tim. Come on by and we will have tea in the garden, especially when the sky's cloudy!!

Seriously, I was quite skeptical it will work. A few pieces of wood knocked together and looking rather flimsy. But when the mount is placed on top, it became solid enough for astrophotography use. And the beauty of it is that now I can level the tripod until I am really satisfied.

But cannot beat your permanent pier, lah.................
christopher