Teflon sticker???

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
fizzy123

Teflon sticker???

Post by fizzy123 »

I am thinking of accquiring some sticker like materials to paste onto the 3 felt pads on my edmund astroscan telescope to replace them as the new contact points. Any idea where I can accquire some of these stickers? I cant seem to find them even on ebay. The stickers are one side teflon material, the other side is pressure sensitive adhesive
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hi Fizzy,

You could try 'PTFE' furniture leg disc. These are those round protectors you put under the chair legs. Get the 3M PTFE type. They are Grey one side and black on the other. I use them on my chairs which allow me to slide on the parquet floor without scratches. They cost much more than the cheapo felt types which are commonly used. can't recall the cost but I know they cost more...lol!

Just look for PTFE. You can get them at Home Fix DIY, Self Fix DIY stores. I have read in Astro Mags that some DIY Dob's use them on the turntable and altitude wheels. So you could try this out. There are 2 kinds available, those with the nails (which you obviously don't want) and the adhesive types!
Look out for PTFE (grey and black disc) think they are like 2 in a pack!

Good Luck and hope that helps!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi Tim,

I doubt those teflon used for furnitures will suit my needs as those pieces are of a considerable height, thus I doubt the scope can sit nicely and perfectly on those 3 pads. Moreover, those pads maybe of too small a contact area, thus it might actually cause scratches on the scope instead.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Ah..ok I see. Well if I see a possible alternative I'll let you know. Hope you get it fixed.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!