Where to find this extension arm?

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
VinSnr
Administrator

Where to find this extension arm?

Post by VinSnr »

Hi guys,

Please take a look at this page:

http://www.halfhitchtelescope.com/balan ... ension.htm

Look at the extension arm. I need something like this.....even a simple rectangular bar with a slot will do. I don't need an elegant solution like the one inside the page.

Any idea where to find such a bar with a slot in the middle?
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Hi VinSnr,

Hmmm,...not sure if a metal piece with a slot in the middle is available for sale anywhere, unless such a piece belongs to something and one can rip it out from the main equipment/item.
Just some thoughts and suggestions I can throw out here are;

- Take a look at those TV braackets/any wall mounting brackets. They often have slotted arms.
- Snoop around Hardware stores that cater to Contractors. The rack that stores the copper pipes, lengths of iron, curtain rails, sliding rails, etc etc. I notice they have lengths of Aluminum that are often used for cabinet door sliding rails, curtain rails. Some have holes and slots which are used for cabinet bracings, etc. You may find something that can be easy to DIY for this.
- Piece of Craft wood?...Art Friend. They have small planks and you just need some drilling and carving with craft knives. Paste 2 pieces together to make it more rigid if needed.

Just throwing out some ideas. Perhaps they may help or spur better ideas. Hope you find what you need!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
rlow

Post by rlow »

Hi Vincent

I think you should either buy the original arm or make a clone yourself. If you get someone to make one, it make even cost more that the original. I don't think you can find a ready-made, off-the-shelf solution for this. If you just make a simple bar with slot, it may not look good on the Half-Hitch, and spoil the whole look.

jest my two sense (:
Richard Low