Orion 100ED Souped Up

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
orly_andico

Orion 100ED Souped Up

Post by orly_andico »

This is my Orion 100ED f/9 refractor. There was some tiny fungus on the lens (now I know.. I am not immune to fungus) so the sale fell through.

Since I had dismantled it and removed the fungus (in between the two elements) I decided to go through and mod the heck out of it.

I sanded off all the paint (which was badly scratched from my tube rings anyway) and repainted the dew shield with Hammerite cream paint. The finish was not so good.

The main tube is unpainted. After I sand the dew shield again I will have both powder-coated, there's a shop in Defu Lane which is popular with case modders. Haven't decided on color..

I also shortened the main tube by 4" so that it is BV-friendly. In retrospect even a 2" shortening would have sufficed.

Finally I snuck upon a fancy William-Optics focuser on A-Mart. These are nicer than the GSO ones (more expensive too but I got it for much less than full price).
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing. Now I know who to look for for sanding and power-coating. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Man I have no power sander. It took way too much elbow grease to get all that paint off. Not something I would recommend..
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

You could use Paint Remover. But make sure you have Eye Goggles and long Gloves on. The Paint remover stings when it gets onto skin, but will scale the paint off making it easier to remove. Go layer by layer and take your time if using it. Final sanding can be done once your down to the bare metal. Be careful when using it as it will eat through any paint job!! It bubbles up the paint making it easy to scrape.
Wash down with warm soapy water (dishwashing detergent is good to remove oil/grease), dry and paint.

But Great Job Orly! Why not head to a Leather shop, buy a length and stick it around the tube?? Then burn your own logo which the shop should be able to customize for you. Go for a SteamPunk Look! I'm in the midst of doing one such with an old 90mm Acro!

Still great job on Pimping the 100ED!! Well done!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

hey Tim.. maybe you can post some photos of your steampunk achro :) so we have an idea how it looks. Dent-proof at that!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Will do will do! I have the parts for now...lens unit and tube with a WO crayford. Got quotes on leather and sourcing for brass bits for the Look. Hopefully to start the construction end of the month. Plans only now.
But will document the process.
Hmmm maybe a small dent should enhance it...lol! I need an old clock with it's parts! Damn! I miss Sungei Road!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

or you could do a bare polished brass like the Televue Renaissance.. but brass is probably too expensive..
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Brass would most definately be! That was a consideration. I had wood strips, brass and leather as choices. But I may instead put the money down on a DIY crayford with brass instead of a tube. More planning to do before I commit. Going more for design but basic functionality. I still have to design an AltAz mount too!
orly_andico

Re: Orion 100ED Souped Up

Post by orly_andico »

After seven months of procrastination:

It's the Poor Man's TV-102! or maybe Poor Man's Traveler!

Ooh shiny!

This focuser increased the cost of the scope by 50% [smilie=beaten.gif]

Had it powder-coated yesterday by David "The Case Modder's Friend" at 01-464 Block 11 Defu Lane 10. $15!
James Ling

Re: Orion 100ED Souped Up

Post by James Ling »

Wow....

Looks like is time to give my ISTAR a new coat of paint......

REgards

James Ling