AF adjustment via screw on 300D/350D

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
orly_andico

AF adjustment via screw on 300D/350D

Post by orly_andico »

hi all

I'm thinking of buying this busted 300D (with submirror pin problem) for a throw-away price.

Since I will need to open it up to fix the broken pin, I might as well do the IR mod on it.

Now my question: the replacement glass for the hot mirror is not cheap ($100 USD) which throws my cheapness plan out the window (that's the cost of the broken 300D!)

So.. I understand that if I do not put any replacement glass back on, autofocus will be thrown completely out (I do want to retain its daylight use with a custom WB).

Christian Buil has this web site
http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/autofocus/adjust.htm

where he mentions adjusting the AF via rotating a tiny screw on the 350D.

1) will this also work for the 300D

2) is there enough AF adjustment to cover the loss of the hot mirror?
nntenzo

Post by nntenzo »

HI,

I just modified my 350D.

What i did is I DIY my own replacement glass. materials as below
1) 77mm UV filter (~5 SGD)
2) 1 iphone 3G screen, glass only (~5 SGD)
3) 1 Glass cutter (~3 SGD)

the original filter is about 2.7 mm thick one layer of UV filter + Iphone screen is about that thickness. it gives the correct AF without adjusting that screw.

In fact i heard some say this screw is for adjusting up and down not forward and backward.. have u tried? worked ? let me know.

note: I tried two layer of UV filter and it stuck the shutter (shutter won't move).