Mount.

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
kimo

Mount.

Post by kimo »

I am planning to get a C11 / 10 inch SCT OTA. My GP2 will not be able to handle this OTA. Is there any mount I can look for or I can DIY. I don’t want to spend much money on it. This is for visual purpose only.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Been there, done that.

Your best bet is to buy the EQ6 from McGill at $2200.

I bought a (used) CGEM in the US for $1400 SGD. But when you factor in the shipping, it pretty much hit $2000. Of course this one has some goodies (roller suitcase, polar scope, Celestron power supply..) but I really didn't end up saving much money.

And the CGEM is not zero-latitude ready. I will need to have a wedge fabricated, and my only quote right now is $400 USD! I desperately need to find a machinist..

I gotta add.. the CGEM is far more than I bargained for. I cannot even lift it when it has both weights on it, and this is without a scope!

My GP is so much more fun/friendlier to use. Leads me to believe I should really be looking for a small, high quality mount. Like a Tak EM10/EM11. But that mount won't carry a C11. If your scope is big, prepare to pay big in terms of weight.

Another alternative is the iEQ45 which is available locally for $2800 I believe. That's probably better than the EQ6 because it weighs 1/2 of the EQ6.

Sadly, I don't think you have any other options if you really want that C11.
kimo

Post by kimo »

Thanks for sharing your new experience on CGEM. I have known earlier that it will not be easy to access, This is only good for permanent mount. I am planning for my SCT OTA to have a light and easy movable mount so I can often go to the field to enjoy it. I can do some nice wood works. Need some design to do.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

T rex alt from kokusai kohki. Pricey though.
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

If you are looking for cheaper EQ6 and HEQ5-Pro, buy them from mainland China where they are produced. I heard that the price of a HEQ5-Pro is just RMB6000 (less than SGD1400).
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

.. with no quality control.

HEQ5-Pro is very similar to the Orion Sirius, which is $1100 USD = $1364 SGD.

I don't know how much shipping from China would be but it would probably be over $100. Less risk to buy from the US (at the same price), eat a higher shipping cost, at least Orion did some QC before you got it.
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

orly_andico wrote:.. with no quality control.

HEQ5-Pro is very similar to the Orion Sirius, which is $1100 USD = $1364 SGD.

I don't know how much shipping from China would be but it would probably be over $100. Less risk to buy from the US (at the same price), eat a higher shipping cost, at least Orion did some QC before you got it.
Quality control or not depends on if you have connection with the company or individual that sells you. It's fairly "flexible" if you can navigate around.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
kimo

Post by kimo »

Anyone has experience C11 on CG5 ASGT? how stable is this? can use GOTO?
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

A CG-5 with the 2" legs can handle a C11 for visual, but forget about astrophotography with it. You'd need a longer CW shaft and/or more weights.

But here's the wrinkle: being in Singapore you will definitely need a pier extension. And in my experience, the pier extension is a major source of instability. So I would not try it.

I used my GP (identical to the GP2 except its green) with my C9.25 and it was quite unstable. The 9.25 weighs 5 lb less than the C11. Arguably the CG-5 is stronger than the GP/GP2 (even though it is a copy of the GP) because the Chinese used steel instead of aluminum. But I still would not try it.
kimo

Post by kimo »

C11 on CG5 ASGT absolutely not for Astrophotography, only for visual. I am not sure if GOTO can work if load with 30lbs OTA weight + Counterweight.