help! I broke my 300D

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
orly_andico

help! I broke my 300D

Post by orly_andico »

in the course of IR-modding it.

Everything "works" (metering, AF -- which was not working before due to sub-mirror pin problem -- all displays and switches) but I get an immediate Error 99 when I try to take a shot.

Hoping for ideas from those who've DIY'ed their DSLR's.
kimo

Post by kimo »

If you are using lens then have to clean the camera connector for external Lens.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

As Kimo mentioned. Most of the Rebel's issue is the Lens connection when using an older lens/different chip on lens, etc etc. You could use a hard pencil eraser and clean the contacts.
Others have had it for other areas...sometimes goes away.

Here's a good read FYI

http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2 ... ct-points/
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Thanks Stuart. Yes am getting Error 99 even without a lens. I'll try reseating everything. PITA, there's a lot of those $#%$#@ connectors.
Last edited by orly_andico on Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kimo

Post by kimo »

You can check the CMOS connection to the circuit board. Somewhere not connected properly. Easy way to connect the CMOS, first Connect the CMOS on the board then place the CMOS with Circuit Board on camera and screw it. hope it will solve.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

i did like kimo suggested and connected the CMOS to the motherboard while it was not screwed in. That seems to have solved the Error 99. Had to re-seat the back cover several times because the first time the buttons didn't work. Ok now.

I did damage two of the clips inside, so I suspect the camera won't tolerate more dis-assembly.

Since I broke the Edmunds glass (cost $50! half the camera!) while trying to cut it, right now the sensor is "naked" (no cover) and won't focus correctly from the viewfinder. But it will still be useful for AP.
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Glad you got it solved!! Shoot away!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
kimo

Post by kimo »

Good try. Wait for your AP.