DSLR.bot IPhone IR trigger

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
timatworksg

DSLR.bot IPhone IR trigger

Post by timatworksg »

Firstly if this is the wrong section...Mods please feel free to move it!

Just a heads up and some info on an Iphone App that may come in handy. It's called DSLR.bot which allows the Iphone/Ipod/Ipad to remotely trigger a IR controlled DSLR with a simple add on mod. App info here:

http://www.dslrbot.com/

I write this as I have a Nikon D70 (not D70s) which can only remote trigger with a IR remote, which only allows shutter control open/close! Only way I can do a 1min or more bulb exposure would be to press the remote and use a stopwatch to count the time needed for the exposure! I needed something that I can set the length of exposure, how many shots, etc etc and not worry about standing next to the DSLR counting!! Sadly no such programmable remote exist for the D70, only for the D70s as it has a Remote connection plug.

Options were, build an Intervalometer and solder to the IR remote which I am hopeless at Electronics!! A quick search brought me to DSLR.bot! The recent version (version 3) can control Canon/Nikon/Sony/pentax models (check the website for listed cams) allowing Standard remote shooting/Long Exposure/Time Lapse/bracketing/Movie control!! For it to work one would have to get(or make) a simple IR LED connector for the Iphone/Ipad/IPod which connects to the ear plug socket.

How this works? The APP sends signals through the Ear Plug triggering the IR LEDS to fire off based on which camera is selected! The Mod is simple to make and instructions are clear on the website too!

How I made this??

For me...I found 2 old TV remotes I had, broke it apart and cut out the IR LED's. Grabbed a old Earphone and cut of the jack which is needed. Soldered the IR LEDs as per the instructions and soldered the Phones wires to the IR LED's connectors as per stated. PLugged it into my IPhone Ear plug socket, (in the IPhone's IPod menu) turn OFF EQ, Sound check and boost volume. Check to make sure your DSLR brand is selected and HAve fun!!! Tried it and it works with no problems!! I can now do long exposure remotely on my D70! I just blue tack my DIY IR cable to the camera and leave my IPhone to do the rest!! I can take 1min to 1hour if needed in the APP's menu! (lol!!)

As long as the DSLR is one with a IR receiver for remote trigger, and the camera is listed with DSLR.bot, hack up the LED's and your good to go!
And yeah...you have to pay for the APP which is the best US$5 I spent through my IPhone...haha!

Incidently there are also APPs using the DIY IR Dongle to control anything which uses an IR Remote, like TVs/DVD players/home lighting/etc etc...yes it works!! Been there done that....scary when you can actually screw with your friends home theater system...nyah nyah!! (seriously...don't it won't be fun thereafter)

So if anyone wishes to give this a try and needs help lemme know! Just a heads up in case someone here needs it. It's nice to know it allows control over several cameras from the 4 brands! And the dongle is like carrying an earpiece with you! With the IPhone in almost everyones pocket...IR triggering for AP just got a little easier!!

*sorry no pics...I just made it tonite and about to go koonzzzz!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!