15" ZOC dob : DIY Project

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

rlow wrote:I have known Albert Tan since the pre-Halley's Comet (1986) days. He has been my original and biggest source of inspiration here for DIY resourcefulness and inventiveness. Some have called him "the most innovative astronomer in S'pore" and I concur with that.

Here is a series of four photos showing the unique tripod he made and how he disassemble it...

Photo 1: C14 setup for viewing

Photo 2: C14 lowered by hydralics. C14 ota is removed.

Photo 3: CGE Pro Mount & Tripod goes up the auto car ramp. He also has a motorised winch to haul it up the ramp.

Photo 4: Mount & Tripod safely secured inside car. C14 takes up one seat behind driver.
whoa! This guy means business! He even got a car to fit the setup.... [smilie=crying2.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
rlow

Post by rlow »

Here's a photo from the last public outreach programme at Sedili Besar on 9 July 2011.

Next round of public outreach with this 15" dob will be held this Friday 22 July 2011 from 8:30pm to 10pm at The Science Centre Obaervatory grounds if the sky permits. All are welcome!
Richard Low
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Can't see anything for the next 30min after this shot... ha ha ha :-P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Next round of public outreach with this 15" dob will be held tonight Friday 22 July 2011 from 8:30pm to 10pm at The Science Centre Obaervatory grounds if the sky permits. All are welcome!

Though the sky is somewhat overcast now, we will mobilize the 15" dob as long as Saturn is visible. I will post an update here at around 7:30pm to 8pm if there is any change.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

We are on.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

Probably it's good that we deployed the 15" dob tonight. For some unknown reason the Science Centre did not open the Observatory tonight, and the public who came expecting the Observatory to be open every Friday were somewhat disappointed and asking why it wasn't open.

Fortunately Albert Tan's C14 was there too, and together with the 15" dob, the people who came had a good look at Saturn. Seeing wasn't so good tonight so the image at 400x was quivering in the 15" dob, amidst bouts of stillness. But the public was still pleased with the view and they ain't complaining. Some could see four moons, some five, I saw six moons. My wife saw seven moons, and I only managed to glimpse the seventh moon after she told me its position.

Here is a photo of the event.

This Saturday 23 July, there will be a few cars heading up to our usual observation site in Sedili. Besides me and my wife, there's also Kochu, Chee Chien, Jiahao, Collin(oxygen) and wife. Of course we will be bringing the 15" dob along.
Last edited by rlow on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

Our 15" ZOC dob will be heading to Science Centre tonight as usual 8:30pm to 10pm. All are welcome to join us there!

Last Saturday 23 Jul we only had a few hours short ob at Sedili Besar. Sky was cloudy with a few "sucker holes". I had to deploy the 15" dob three times due to threat of rain...a few drops fell and stopped etc. We managed to catch a few objects like M4, M6, M7, M8, M11, M17, M20, M27, M57, NGC 6441 and NGC 6960 (Veil Nebula). Fortunately there were hardly any mosquitoes and I didn't get bitten.

We will be heading to Sedili Besar tomorrow 30 July for an overnight ob.
Richard Low
kaomoo

Post by kaomoo »

C14 comes in a cart? *jaw drop*
rlow

Post by rlow »

The 15" dob will not be heading for Science Centre tonight (and next Friday) as I have evening courses to attend. Not that it mattered here, since hardly any of our regular Singastro members go there regularly anyway (:

We will be heading for overnight ob at Sedili Besar with the 15" dob tomorrow as usual. Kochu and Jiahao will be going too.

UPDATE : we did go to Science Centre with the 15" dob from 9-10pm. We had wonderful views of sharp fine details on the Moon at 280x and 400x.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

The 15" Zambuto Dob will be obbing at the Science Centre tonight 8:30pm to 10pm.
Richard Low