Picture of big,big sunspot

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

very good pictures!!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Charlie
Good! Are these the culprits that caused havoc to the earth's comm systems and brought delight to those who like to watch the auroras?
btw, are these taken in black and white, cos I think they should be orange in colour originally?

rich

ps what is RP??? I don't remember any poly starting with "R"...?
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Yea, its in b&w because of im using the baader solar filter (courtesy of SP; Thanks Sam!) to take the above shots. However, i've tried the Thousand Optics' range of glass solar filters, which gives a more natural colour to the Sun, with orange sun and nice shades of the umbra and perumbra of the sunspots.
Check out http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=253&highlight= taken by our neighbouring star-gazer in M'sia in his post today, he's using the TO solar filter.

BTW, RP stands for Republic Polytechnic. Its a new polytechnic situated near Redhill MRT, oppo. Crescent Girls Sch, and am helping out their newly formed astronomy club as a mentor.

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Grievous wrote:Yea, its in b&w because of im using the baader solar filter (courtesy of SP; Thanks Sam!) to take the above shots. However, i've tried the Thousand Optics' range of glass solar filters, which gives a more natural colour to the Sun, with orange sun and nice shades of the umbra and perumbra of the sunspots.
Check out http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=253&highlight= taken by our neighbouring star-gazer in M'sia in his post today, he's using the TO solar filter.

BTW, RP stands for Republic Polytechnic. Its a new polytechnic situated near Redhill MRT, oppo. Crescent Girls Sch, and am helping out their newly formed astronomy club as a mentor.

Charlie
wah...my time used to have only 2 polys...not so many I have lost count!
anyway, do pull them into the singastro "umbrella" soonest. good to see all the astro clubs networking together on singastro...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets