Singastro JuMparty on 5 Aug

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
ian0138

Post by ian0138 »

CC, how far is it to the nearest car park, not about to carry a canon for 200m :roll:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi all, the link for a map of the observing location has been updated in my first post of this thread. We will observe at the spot marked with a star, less than 50m from the car park. The spot will be "trolley-accessible". See u guys this Sat!
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

Good chance to debunk the Mars email that's going around again (for the 4th year.. my goodness! they nv give up do they..) the one that says that MARS IS GOING TO BE BIGGER THAN THE MOON! Quite sure some of the public who drop by may have got that email..
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Yes. I just don't believe the very same people that were duped last year (my mum) can come and ask me if Mars is going to be as big as the moon again.

Hannah, will you be interested to help with preparing an 'information sheet' on the Mars hoax?

I'll be preparing a skymap showing the naked eye objects that night with some explanation.

We can print these on A4 and distribute to people who want that night. I also have some red torches that people can use temporarily.

Does anyone else want to volunteer to prepare other materials? E.g. one on the moon or meteor showers would be nice. Btw I still have the information sheet from marswatch 2005.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
CC, how far is it to the nearest car park, not about to carry a canon for 200m
Hmm... Just wonder how many members are currently in the Army or just ROD... they should be able to help you as they still can remember how to do the Log PT... ha ha ha :P :P :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yes. I just don't believe the very same people that were duped last year (my mum) can come and ask me if Mars is going to be as big as the moon again.

Hannah, will you be interested to help with preparing an 'information sheet' on the Mars hoax?

I'll be preparing a skymap showing the naked eye objects that night with some explanation.

We can print these on A4 and distribute to people who want that night. I also have some red torches that people can use temporarily.

Does anyone else want to volunteer to prepare other materials? E.g. one on the moon or meteor showers would be nice. Btw I still have the information sheet from marswatch 2005.
May be we can just use the Getting Started in Astronomy provided free by Sky & Telescope: http://skyandtelescope.com/howto/basics ... 1100_1.asp
It's got two version... one for Northern Hemisphere and one for Southern Hemisphere. We just need to agree on the version we are going to use and which pages to photocopy... I think we just need 5 pages out of the 10... the introduction (3 pages), 1 Jul/Aug Star Chart and the Moon Map. Then everyone just photocopy a few sets and we should have enough for the public.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Weixing,

Yes, that is very good material to use. But I will prepare a skymap for Singapore; better than those confusing north/south hemisphere maps.
klutz

Post by klutz »

Hi,

I can help with the photocoping if you guys need it...

Just let me know. :)
You know dat children are growing up when they start asking questions that have answers...
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Ok. Cool. See you guys there at 8pm. :)
AstroDuck
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

hey chris..
wah arrow me ah >.<
hmm maybe u could send me the mars watch 2005 info sheet, i'll churn sth out w.r.t mars hoax.
btw i think we should try to keep any info sheets short and sweet.. dun use so much paper (yes i've been quite influenced after going for a coastal cleanup)