Singastro JuMparty on 5 Aug

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Hello SingAstronians,

The JuMparty was wonderful. It's an eye-opener for me and my children coz there were so many big telescopes and we get to see through them too :).

Your generousity, friendliness and willingess to share made this event really special.

I saw this gentleman (sorry, can't remember your name, but my children called you uncle so you were just promoted to be an uncle) who patiently educating a boy about astronomy, how to differentiate a planet from a star, and explaining why we couldn't see Mars at this point of time etc. Chee Chian who proudly stood by his Portaball and readily let others look through it. Andrew who showed us how to use his Newtonian telescope and generously offer to lend his childhood dream to us. Chris who give us a short lecture on how telescopes work. Airconvent (sorry forgot your real name) who distributed materials and mistaken me for another Lily. Also met Hannah the sporty young lady, Klutz and her cute daughter Kim, teacher Alvin etc.

When the party was over, my daughter asked me if she can come to star party again the next day :).

My children told their teachers and school friends that they learnt to use telescope and they saw Moon and Jupiter. They can even name the 4 moons of Jupiter (so can I, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto). That's quite surprising coz they were running around with Kim and only peek through the scopes once in while. Children learn in their own way I guess.

Look forward to more gatherings in the future. My children already said they want to go to every star party.

Cheers,
Lily
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Canopus Lim wrote:VinSnr,
Yes I know I have to be there. I told my colleagues to help look after. I had certain things to do so at some point I had to leave the scope. Next time I will not leave it alone. Thanks for your advice. :)
Next time I volunteer to look after your scope. I can be very fierce when people do things they are not supposed to! :twisted:
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Haa. Then who will baby sit your cute red colour miniature portaball?
AstroDuck
Lily

Post by Lily »

Haa. Then who will baby sit your cute red colour miniature portaball?
I will. Since I am going to borrow it :D
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

sorry to hear about your scratches Canopus. Unfortunately, although I popped by to take a peek, I think I did not manage to meet up with you so have no idea which is you. I thought of lingering to catch a view but was basically overhwhelmed by the crowd around it...even CC's scope I can still find a gap in the crowd to slot in...heh heh
enjoy your obsession...!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Airconvent,
Actually I met you 3 times already. Once in Mersing (you asked me about my C5 on microstar mount), once at Mars watch (you wanted to see the DIY dew heater) and once that day. We have talked also those 3 times. Hmm.. still don't know who I am? :P
AstroDuck
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Its the most nicely build diy scope I have ever seen!

cheerrs
cc
Thanks for the kind words!!! but that title already went to Liuming's ATM TMB scope :-) . I actually wanted to compare the view between my scope and Liuming's. Both are ATM with premium optics (albeit 5" difference), both cost about the same to fabricate. Maybe next Mersing trip?

My scope is far from perfect, still need to resolve the "stool-needed", rigidity/stickiness, and weight issues. I'll solve these issues one at a time :-)

Enjoyed the night, i have to rush to airport in the morning to catch my flight. Me and Wxg were the last to leave the field. Thanks for all the organizers!!

cheers,
Arief
Last edited by ariefm71 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Apologies that I had to pack for home early... all subordinates (other 'wives') had to be in bed before lights off order issued by commandant(wife)-in-chief.

Anyway, it was a nice night for me to share my 80mm APO refractor and a good chance for my 6" CCT (classsical cassegrain telescope) to see 1st light on the field (I had previously tested it for very short periods looking out of my study room window at home).

My colleague and her neighbour who came later enjoyed the star party too. It was their 1st time to a star party.
Last edited by alvinsclee on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Yang Beng, sorry to hear about your focuser being scratched. Yes, it is true that we must keep our eyes on our scopes all the time, so that someone would not inadvertedly drop something or mishandle the scope. It is best to ask one of us (and I would help) who is familiar in handling your scope rather than a colleague who may not be used to it.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

alvinsclee wrote:Apologies that I had to pack for home early... all subordinates (other 'wives') had to be in bed before lights off order issued by commandant(wife)-in-chief.

Anyway, it was a nice night for me to share my 80mm APO refractor and a good chance for my 6" CCT (classsical cassegrain telescope) to see 1st light on the field (I had previously tested it for very short periods looking out of my study room window at home).

My colleague and her neighbour who came later enjoyed the star party too. It was their 1st time to a star party.
great scope you have alvin! the mount was rock solid (by my standards anyway) and the views was simply breath taking.. In fact, the views on Jupiter appear less glaring as compared with the Portaball because of the smaller aperture.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets