Singastro JuMparty on 5 Aug

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Hmmm... any IT expert out there? Someone should write a wireless network program so that our island-wide telescope systems linkage can help the police zero in any criminals on the run.
Hahaha, first of all you will need to fit a network card in your scope so that it is able to receive signals from satelites. Will ask my network expert friend to write a prototype, he will think I am crazy.
Last edited by Lily on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

chrisyeo wrote:Yup. The shadow transit of Io will be visible from 6.30 till about 8.40pm. The Great Red Spot will also be visible till 10+. Good timing, CC!
heheh by some dumb luck :)

BTW, anyone able to give me and the portaball a lift tomorrow? I stay just 1km from the park and find it strange to flag a cab for the short trip :P
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
alvinsclee

Post by alvinsclee »

Lily wrote:Hahaha, first of all you will need to fit a network card in your scope so that it is able to receive signals from satelites. Will ask my network expert friend to write a prototype, he will think I am crazy.
No need network cards to receive signals from satellites. Even a simple broadband modem hooked to a telephone line can do. As long as a virtual private network (VPN) can be set up to link the scopes, it should not be difficult to send data packages to each individual scope by assigning them specific local IP addresses.

I am still dreaming of those remotely controlled GOTO scopes... big things start from small dreams... welcome to the humble beginning of Singastro Astronomy Laboratory & Space Agency (affectionately known as SALSA).

:D :D :D

OK, just tested my scopes and accessories to make sure all systems working for tomorrow (correction: this evening... it's already the wee hours of Saturday now). Got to sleep now. I look forward to the event. See you all there!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I took some photo of the scopes.

Have a nice day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

More...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by weixing on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

The finishing of Arief's scope put the Portaball to shame! Its the most nicely build diy scope I have ever seen!

Anyway, the turnout for the JumParty was great despite the forum outage. Some of us stayed till nearly midnight.

cheerrs
cc
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

More...
Yang Weixing
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Last 2...
Last edited by weixing on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yang Weixing
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

It was truly another great night, not because of the cloudy skies but because so many singastroians turned up to make this a very interactive event.
Unlike the usual long list of Messier objects, I think we can only lay claim to 2....Jupiter and the moon! The participants, both informed and passerbys were there to join in the festivities.
I regret again I was too caught up with the demos to meet up with all the new people whom I only know as nicks here but at least I managed to see Lily (and I thought she was CoolcatLily, the LXD55 owner!) and Alvinclee (whom I met for the second time.) Regretably, I think I have also neglected my colleagues who came to offer their support...next time I will not bring my scope, so have more time to interact and walk around! anyway, my 80mm is really pathetic next to the 12.5" curry pot!
I have also been actively giving out our website to all the attendees but unfortunately, as you all know, the forum crashed and I am thinking those people, having tried for 2 days to log in must have been taking I was pulling a fast one on them! :-(

This was also first light for my "new" WO Fluorite Doublet 80mm which I bought many moons ago but had not had the time to take it out for a spin.
After some embarrassing technical issues regarding my newly purchased tripod,I was up and running but then realised the mount was simply too wobbly for the scope. Elton actually described the tripod movement as "very irritating for observing" (or something near to that effect)..sorry..i will stick to the manfrotto 055 from now on...! :-)

Overall the views through the scope was good. Nice, contrastyand clean images and no colour that I can see on the moon itself.

In anycase, because I had previously promised to meet up with my family and send them home, alas, I had to leave earlier than I would have liked. I missed part 2 of the event when Luiming (denebman) and Arief arrived with their "monsters"...sigh...

And thanks to Klutz, Hannah, Chris, chee chien and the rest of the gang for designing and printing the info leaflets and organising this event in general...THANKS!

Well, here are some images to share for the first half of the event.
Last edited by Airconvent on Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Photos 1
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets