Singastro JuMparty on 5 Aug

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

The person checking out the Vixen 80mm is my colleague. haa. Anyway, you guys didn't take my scope. Perhaps I packed up exactly at 9.30pm. :P I will hide in the limelight else my scope get destroyed by too many itchy fingers that night.
AstroDuck
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Thanks for all the pics! :) It was a fun night. Too bad we could only hear but not see the fireworks from the Singapore Fireworks Festival. BTW, Ian's dob is 10", not 8". Quite compact hor for the aperture! :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
BTW, Ian's dob is 10", not 8".
So I'm right... I thought I was wrong when I saw Airconvent pictures comment, so I change it from 10" to 8"... :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Haha my favourite pic is that of Alvin. The look of surprise on his face is priceless... :mrgreen: :P :P
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

klutz wrote:Aircon, you are so funny... I like the part on Rlow hard-selling his "S$5k" scope best... haha :lol:
Actually i have that "S$5K" scope. Rather, i'm more interested in the mount, which is sitting pretty in my living room now :lol: :lol:
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I felt sort of wasted as I did not have a chance to look through most of the telescopes there. :( I had to leave earlier too and I could only be there for an hour. Perhaps next time there will be another event and that I could look through other scopes and not look after mine and my things.

Unfortunately, there was somebody whom I DID NOT KNOW going through my things and taking my eyepieces out using them, switching eyepieces and using my scope without asking me. I do not know who is that guy, but I hope that next time he could ask first and at least I get to know his name. I will let my friends and people I know use my scope. Also, in the process, my focuser got scatched with pen marks by perhaps him or some other people there.
AstroDuck
ian0138

Post by ian0138 »

BTW, Ian's dob is 10", not 8".

Seems all my scopes get downgraded :cry: , yes my dob is a 10" , many thought it was a 8" during that night, also the mak I am trying to sell is a 127mm MAK :lol:

Anyway it was a fun night. Thanks to all the organizer.

IAN
denebman

Post by denebman »

Had I not been informed by Rich-II and David, I would have missed the wonderful event.

I came across Elton who brought no scope except for two heirloom Pentax XW eps, the XW40 and XW30. The views through them are awesome, almost sharp to the edge and highly contrasty. Too bad I didn't bring the Nagler T5/31 to compare.
10" Telekit with Zambuto optics~TMB 152/1200 (construction)~Takashi Mewlon 210~TMB 80/600
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Canopus Lim wrote:I felt sort of wasted as I did not have a chance to look through most of the telescopes there. :( I had to leave earlier too and I could only be there for an hour. Perhaps next time there will be another event and that I could look through other scopes and not look after mine and my things.

Unfortunately, there was somebody whom I DID NOT KNOW going through my things and taking my eyepieces out using them, switching eyepieces and using my scope without asking me. I do not know who is that guy, but I hope that next time he could ask first and at least I get to know his name. I will let my friends and people I know use my scope. Also, in the process, my focuser got scatched with pen marks by perhaps him or some other people there.
scratched by pen marks? Someone use a pen on your focuser? :shock:

Next time, the best way to avoid this kind of situation is be there! Either that or entrust it to someone really experience. If you walk away from your scope, it is inevitable that some people (whether you know them or not) will change your eyepieces, change your object, etc, etc. This cannot be help in a public star party. Also the reason why I have two set of eyepieces, one for my own use (or when I am around) and another set for star parties (or when there are many kids around) . You are already consider lucky that no one took away your naglers. You basically left your eyepieces on the floor next to the scope with you no where in sight.

Be very careful next time. You have a really expensive scope there.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

VinSnr,
Yes I know I have to be there. I told my colleagues to help look after. I had certain things to do so at some point I had to leave the scope. Next time I will not leave it alone. Thanks for your advice. :)
AstroDuck