Wearing Military Fatigues

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Wearing Military Fatigues

Post by Airconvent »

Hi all,
I noticed that some people going to Mersing were wearing their reservist No. 4 military fatigues complete with shirts and boots. I know this may be convenient but would like to discourage you from doing so for the following reasons :

1. It is illegal to wear your uniform for personal use anyway.
2. It is a sensitive issue especially in Johor. We do not want to create tensions between our countries if they misunderstand our intentions.
3. Past experience has seen the Malaysian police drop by the obs site for checks and it does not look good for people in military gear to be found in the dark!

Thanks for your understanding.
Cheers
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
That's very bad... please don't do it!!

If I remember correctly, the area that we observe is quite near a Malaysia military base. During one of the past trip, some of us had some problems with the Malaysia custom when they just mention that they are observing in that area with telescope. So please don't wearing any type of military unit form there and don't mention the name of the exact location if ask by the Malaysia customs... just said Mersing will do.

Just don't get yourself into unnecessary trouble.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Yes, SINGAPOREAN in ARMY outfit with TELESOPE in the DARK near a sensitive MALAYSIAN MILITARY BASE is a very bad combination!

I don't think anyone would cherish being detained and interrogated in a police lock-up for 24 hours like the 10 fishermen...
Richard Low
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

rlow wrote:Yes, SINGAPOREAN in ARMY outfit with TELESOPE in the DARK near a sensitive MALAYSIAN MILITARY BASE is a very bad combination!

I don't think anyone would cherish being detained and interrogated in a police lock-up for 24 hours like the 10 fishermen...
worst still, after come back to Spore, will kena detain and question again by the SAF guys.
opteron

Post by opteron »

what abt wearing the boots only?
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Let's just play safe an avoid any SAF-issued items in Malaysia.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!