ASTRONOMY 2008

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Yes, can we download the super high res pic?
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

lots of request for the high res version. however, it is not really 'super' though. each square photo is 100x100 pixels in the high res version, which means the latest poster can be printed at photographic resolution within a 8x10 inches paper. it could be printed bigger, but details would not be so good, might be worth a try though. i would welcome more astronomy activities photos (through the years) if you have. be it a school session, local session at some location, expeditions, etc. i think i have just about everyone inside (in one pic or more!), especially the active members. If somehow your photo is not inside, please send me one to remuscj at yahoo dot com. maybe one day it could be made even bigger and we could print one and frame it up. i am sure it would be memorable for most of us especially the veterans. i will try to have the high res version up on my website soo.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Here is the public directory for downloading of publicity posters for A2008

http://www.celestialportraits.com/public/

Note that A2008Banner4a.jpg is 8x10inches in size if printed 300DPI (photographic resolution) on paper. A2008Banner4.jpg is the web (smaller) version.
Last edited by rcj on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photon Bucket
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Here is the current list of donators (updated 15th April 2008). The A2008 Crew would like to thank you for your gracious donations, and support for the local astronomical community. Note that order listed is not indicative of amount donated, but perhaps speed at which the gesture was received!

1) Chan Kay Heem
2) Sam Qi Hui
3) Chris Yeo
4) Reis Deng
5) Leek Meng Lee
6) Mr Chew (do not wish to be known)
7) David Lian
8) Clifford
9) Wong Chee Hoe
10) Kat
11) Vincent Kee
12) Arief
13) Richard Low
14) Richard Airconvent
15) YK Chia
16) Elton
17) Christopher
18) Kelvin
19) Gavin
20) Lim Sin Hoe

A BIG thank you to all the above! Let's make A2008 a success!
Last edited by rcj on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
Photon Bucket
fairydream81

Post by fairydream81 »

I'm from Hochiminh city Amateur Astronomy Club - HAAC (Vietnam). I'm very interested in "Astronomy 2008".
Could you give me more infomation about activities in "Astronomy 2008" day ?
Hochiminh City Amateur Astronomy Club (HAAC)
www.vietastro.org
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

hi fairydream,

nice to hear from you! and thanks for expressing interest in grazing the event. The A2008 website will be updated and up soon. Tentatively, one can expect to attend talks of a wide range of topics from cosmology to practical astronomy. There will be an astro-imaging workshop thrown in as well. Additionally, there will be a Telescope Display where attendees would be treated to various astronomical equipment from the amateur astronomy market, plus a gallery of astrophotographic works. Not forgetting the treat of looking at the sun/moon and planets through the various telescopes on site, and mingling/interacting with like-minded fellow astronomers!

see you soon!
Photon Bucket
fairydream81

Post by fairydream81 »

Not forgetting the treat of looking at the sun/moon and planets through the various telescopes on site
Night observing with telescope ? It's very interesting. I think i will book a ticket to Singapore soon ^^ [smilie=admire.gif]
Hochiminh City Amateur Astronomy Club (HAAC)
www.vietastro.org
Lee
Vendor

Post by Lee »

rcj wrote:Update (22/03/08):

Note for foreign visitors:
All foreign subscribers in Singastro (or just about any other astronomy enthusiats from other countries) are welcomed to graze this full-day event (August 16, 2008, Saturday) at the Singapore Art Museum. Admission is free and starts from 10AM to 5PM. Please drop a PM, or email to remuscj at yahoo dot com, if you are keen to attend. Hope to see you too!
Hi Remus,
Can i confirm if the event is only from 10AM to 5PM on Saturday?
With the immense efforts & financial committments by so many volunteers and those foreign visitors it would be nice if the event can be stretch at least a day longer just like in Penang.

WK
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

that is what i thought too, to have it >1 days kind of event. however, we cannot afford to pay for additional rental of one more day. Right now, the rental for one day has already been paid in full, even though the total amount of donations does not come close yet. I am currently seeing to an institutional sponsorship, and see if it is successful. If it is, perhaps we could have an additional day, but this also assumes SAM is available on the following Sunday.
Photon Bucket
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Updates (27/03/08):

Have decided to release the A2008 official website URL to the public:

A2008 Website

This would hopefully help everyone to understand what A2008 is all about. Please note that the programme line-up is still tentative and subjected to future changes. Talk presenters (speakers) have been confirmed but we are still awaiting synopses from everyone. Have tried to make it as all rounded as possible, so you can expect a talk to focus on astrophysics, one on practical astronomy, another on a unique (never before presented) expedition account (keep it wraps for the moment!), an enlightening insight into NEOs and meteors, and an astro-imaging hands-on workshop (bring your laptops!). So we try to have something for everyone, from the budding astrophysicists, to astrophotographers, and of course, not forgetting our beginners! An online version of the A2008 pamphlet (handout) would be available at a later time. Also, please let me know if there's any other information that we have missed out that may be useful to have on the A2008 website. Thanks.

Note: As it may be a one-time event, it was not financially feasible to host the site on a dedicated domain. Have volunteered some space for it from the CP site.

As before, the publicity posters are listed here:

High Res (printable)
version

Low Res (web)
version
Last edited by rcj on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Photon Bucket