ASTRONOMY 2008 (LATEST)

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
rcj
Vendor

ASTRONOMY 2008 (LATEST)

Post by rcj »

Hi everyone!

As promised, here is some information on the line-up of events and what to expect for the upcoming, eagerly anticipated ASTRONOMY 2008 public event held at the Singapore Art Museum (Glass Hall) on the 16th of August 2008, Saturday. As mentioned previously, this event is FREE and welcomed by all, whether you are a student, veteran, tourist, public, or the curious! It is a full day event, starting from 10AM to 5PM. There will also be a follow-up public stargazing session held at the Singapore Management University grounds just opposite the Museum (across the road) during the evenings hours starting from 7PM. Note that the stargazing session is weather dependent.

In chronological order:
A2008 will kick off with a short opening segment plus registration for all attendees. Please obtain the A2008 full-colour pamphlets at the reception desk in front of the Glass Hall. There will also be lucky draw coupons for you to keep. Do remember to tear the other half of the coupon and leave it with the reception ladies for record. The lucky draw will be held at various times of the day, and the prizes get more interesting as the day passes. :-P
Whether you are a beginner or veteran to astronomy, the pamphlet is a handy guide for you to know what is the exact programme line-up for the day, talks synopsis, brief history of SINGASTRO, and some speaker biographies.
The event is kicked off by the first talk of the day on "Introduction to Practical Astronomy". This hour-long talk will touch on an overview of practical astronomy, with insights on how to get started in this hobby here in Singapore. If you are a beginner or novice to this hobby, you will love to attend this talk.
An Astro-Imaging Workshop follows after this first talk and is catered particularly for those into astrophotography. This hour-plus-long workshop gives a practical insight into image processing, and will definitely be a useful insight to adding to your processing skill sets for the budding astrophotographer.
After lunch, there will be a movie screening on Nebulae & Galaxies. This would fulfill those with an interest in cosmology and astrophysical concepts. This screening is followed by a talk on Heavenly Things, which is meant to provide an extension to the topics concerning cosmology and theoretical astronomy.
For those who has missed the August 1st solar eclipse experience in China and other participating countries, you will be delighted to hear of the experiences from our very own local astronomers who will share with you their experiences, and pictorial treats, under "Shadow and Light - the Eclipse Chasers!". Ever wondered how active and dynamic astronomy can be, then attend the talk on "Night Events - Meteors", and be enlightened on how to look out for meteors, some interesting and rare video footage on meteor captures, plus a whole lot more of active content!
Finally, to end of the Glass Hall segment of ASTRONOMY 2008, there will be a short Tribute Award ceremony to commemorate one of our veteran astronomers, followed by closing remarks and a group photo session for all our SINGASTRO members. The public is most welcomed to take part in this session as well.
As dusk falls, everyone is invited over to the Singapore Management University open grounds opposite the Museum for a night of observing the Moon, Jupiter and some bright deep sky objects. You will also be treated to live imaging of the Moon and the gas giant, and the opportunity to peep through various telescopes brought in by our various SINGASTRO astronomers.

Now, concurrent to the activities mentioned above, there will be full day activities such as the Solar Observation at the courtyards adjacent to the Glass Hall, a Telescope Display for the equipment savvy folks (a whole range of telescope designs, and apertures!), an Astrophotography Gallery (with contributions from our local and regional astrophotographers), and scientific astronomy posters touching on a plethora of topics ranging from deep sky objects to variable star analysis. There will also be special booths present to display a typical astro-imaging setup, and an insight into the various telescope optical designs (not just the usual refractor/reflector/compound generic designs but the recent hybrids as well) with real optical samples. To complement the Astrophotography Gallery, there will also be electronic image contributions that will be showcased, together with the opportunity to play with almanac-based software created by our local astronomer.
And last of all, this entire event is a perfect opportunity for the beginner to interact with the astronomers, and learn more about astronomy. It will also be a great time for the veterans to catch up with old friends and make new ones!

So stay tuned! It's just a few weeks away!!

For more information on A2008, please visit the official website.

Publicity Poster: here

Event Registration

Cheers!
Remus
A2008
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Robin Lee

Re: ASTRONOMY 2008 (LATEST)

Post by Robin Lee »

Hey Remus, I'm really looking forward to join this event. However, I will still be in Taiwan to participate the 吴健雄 Science Camp

I will try to talk to my club teacher to see if we can arrange the club members to join this event.
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks Remus and team for your hard work.
Do upload the pamplet here if possible. We can download and get all the required info to prep for the event. I noticed that its mostly solar viewing, so do you still need my WO80? Do let us know the exhibition composition. That may avoid too many duplicate items too...
Cheers [smilie=angel2.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

I'll be attending too. A newbie here, I think I may be bringing my binoculars along for the evening stargazing session. Don't think I'll need it for the solar viewing, do I? Anyway, is there anything to prepare for SINGASTRO members before we attend A2008? I filled up the registration form just a couple minutes ago. Anything else to take note of?
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Everyone can pick up the pamphlets from the Reception before you enter the Glass Hall on that day. Don worry, don have to prepare anything, just come and where possible with your scopes or binoculars! Remember, this is the time that you will see everyone, new and old friends once again. If you have that hidden optic jewel at home, it's time to show off and share with everyone! In the evening there will be a stargazing session, and even if instruments are duplicated, it will still be put into good use for public viewing. Just remember to take care of those Ethos, Naglers, and Pentaxes, otherwise use generic plossls will be fine. Less than three weeks more!!
Photon Bucket
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Remus, I will arrange my club members to go for this event. Could you arrange a guide for them? They need someone to explain the exhibits, especially the equipments. :)
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I remember there is a partial eclipse coming soon, so I do a check and it's happen to be on the Astronomy 2008 itself... err... I mean after mid-night, so it's the day after Astronomy 2008 technically.

Anyway, anyone staying back on that day to observe the partial lunar eclipse?? And can we stay there till next day??

Below are the lunar eclipse timing:
P1 -> 16 Aug 2008 18:23:07 UT (17 Aug 2008 02:23:07 SGT)
U1 -> 16 Aug 2008 19:35:47 UT (17 Aug 2008 03:35:47 SGT)
Greatest Eclipse -> 16 Aug 2008 21:10:08 UT (17 Aug 2008 05:10:08 SGT)
U4 -> 16 Aug 2008 22:44:38 UT (17 Aug 2008 06:44:38 SGT)
P4 -> 16 Aug 2008 23:57:06 UT (17 Aug 2008 07:57:06 SGT)

NASA link: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEp ... Aug16P.GIF
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigur ... -Fig06.pdf

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I remember there is a partial eclipse coming soon, so I do a check and it's happen to be on the Astronomy 2008 itself... err... I mean after mid-night, so it's the day after Astronomy 2008 technically.

Anyway, anyone staying back on that day to observe the partial lunar eclipse?? And can we stay there till next day??

Below are the lunar eclipse timing:
P1 -> 16 Aug 2008 18:23:07 UT (17 Aug 2008 02:23:07 SGT)
U1 -> 16 Aug 2008 19:35:47 UT (17 Aug 2008 03:35:47 SGT)
Greatest Eclipse -> 16 Aug 2008 21:10:08 UT (17 Aug 2008 05:10:08 SGT)
U4 -> 16 Aug 2008 22:44:38 UT (17 Aug 2008 06:44:38 SGT)
P4 -> 16 Aug 2008 23:57:06 UT (17 Aug 2008 07:57:06 SGT)

NASA link: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEp ... Aug16P.GIF
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigur ... -Fig06.pdf

Have a nice day.
I think if it's possible, I'll stay back to observe the partial lunar eclipse. But if incase we can't stay there till morning, then I'll observe it at home. Hopefully it'll be visible in Hougang area. Anyone staying around Hougang/Seng Kang area can feel free to join me. I'll most likely be observing at the big grass patch/land near Buangkok MRT station.
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

yes am aware there is a P.L.Eclipse that day.... we have the SMU grounds to us till midnight. I am not sure how it looks on the authorities if we occupy beyond that timing... I hope to observe it too, provided still have the energy...
Photon Bucket
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Update:

It's just a little more than a week away from The Event!!! Finally, over a year of planning and preparations, it is here!!

Just some updates from the A2008 Crew, in case you have been thinking all's been quiet, but that's because everyone is working hard to make this event a success, and not just to make it happen. Over 40 people have been taking their precious and valued time off here and there to help out, and not forgetting the donators and sponsors who have made this possible and to allow us to go this far. We have held several preparatory meetings, discussions, phone calls, smses, and more, so that we can all make a full day, non-stop, pure astronomical event just for you and the public, and best of all, it's free!

Here are some of the elements to look out for during the event, now that almost 90% of the preparations are done:

TELESCOPE DISPLAY
The A2008 attendee can look forward to over 15 full telescope systems up on display at the central portion of the Glass Hall. Feast your eyes on an array of optical instruments ranging from refractors to giant dobsonians. Although we will recommend not touching the instruments on display, if you are keen to look through them, do stay for the night stargazing sessions held at the adjacent SMU campus grounds from 7PM onwards.

ASTRO-EDU POSTERS
Some highlights include Jeremy Shears (SINGASTRO member residing in the UK) research work on variable stars, our very own local astronomer, YK Chia, effort on meteor hunting (he will also be present for the talk on "Night Events"), Myanmarese astronomer (Boothee Thaik Htun) and his experience in astronomy in Myanmar, Jupiter atmospheric features, Moonquakes, and many more!

ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY
Featuring over 50 original astrophotographical works taken by local astrophotographers and the region. The attendee will be able to immerse himself/herself into the world of astrophotography, and the opportunity to view pictures ranging from deep sky objects to magnificent sunsets!

ANDROMEDA PORT
Complementing the GALLERY, the Andromeda Port is an electronic collection of images contributed by astronomers from SINGASTRO and the region.

SINGASTRO MONTAGE
Curious attendees wondering how is the local and regional astronomy scene is like, will look no further than viewing the Montage, which is an ongoing collection of electronic images of past astronomy activities from local stargazing sessions to overseas expeditions.

SOLAR GAZING
Be treated to the pristine views of the Sun both in the usual white-disk mode, and hydrogen-alpha filters. With some luck, you may get to see flares and prominences with your very own eyes!

3 TALKS, 1 WORKSHOP
Grab your seats fast on this one, as we have a range of talks from introductory astronomy for beginners and novices, to astrophysical concepts, and the recent Total Solar Eclipse expedition account straight from our very own SINGASTRO astronomers. The Workshop will enable budding astrophotographers to learn how to piece a giant lunar mosaic using computer software, and a live demonstration.

STARGAZING (A DATE WITH JUPITER AND THE MOON)
Be awed with the multiple storm bands of Jupiter and surf through the topographical terrain of the moon up close! Graciously supported by the Singapore Management University, be the first to experience a look through of several telescopes owned by our SINGASTRO members and friends!

ASSORTED BOOTHS
The attendee will also get to see some booths in the Glass Hall, serving a special function, ranging from a live astro-imaging system, to an assortment of telescope design posters.

Stay tuned!
Remus
A2008
Photon Bucket