Tekong Skies

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
You mean that all the above planets you mentioned (Mars, Saturn, Venus and Jupiter) are on the west end of Singapore in the evening and in the east in the early mornings?
I think you are mistaken. :) Only Mercury and Venus will appear on east sky in early morning or on west sky in evening. Whether it'll appear on east or west will depend on which side of the sun they currently in... this is because they are the inner planets, so they will always appear near the sun. That's why they always appear before sun rise or after sun set.

Currently, Mercury can be seen on the low west horizon at evening and Venus can be seen on the east sky at early morning. Mars and Jupiter will be able to see around the same time as Venus on the east sky. Saturn will rise on the east at around 11pm.

Happy planets hunting. :) :D

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

Hi,
has anyone checked out the skies at other outlying islands before? those in the south maybe, kusu island, st john's island etc..
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

hlyf wrote:Hi,
has anyone checked out the skies at other outlying islands before? those in the south maybe, kusu island, st john's island etc..
last time my company had a cruise to the southern islands....the sky not bad. St John is pretty far south, but unfortunately, i think they dun allow public to go onto that island now.

Problem with all these places is that you need to hire a boat there.

But I did see them reclaiming land joining a few islands. Maybe one day we can drive all the way to St John.....which also means one bad thing....light pollution
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

if we can drive there, u will see street lights everywhere. LTA seems to have a massive budget for street light.

~MooEy~
hlyf

Post by hlyf »

haha.. dun think they'll build a road there lah, there'll probably be outcry from eco-lovers.. they do allow public access, there's even daily ferry, and holiday bungalows on st john's island :P that's partially why i was asking.. cos i have no access to tekong (good for me :P)
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

hlyf wrote:Hi,
I've been to Pulau Hantu in 1997 with JJC astro club. At best the sky was probably only slightly better than east coast then....no Milky Way. But it was a memorable trip as it was the first time i was testing my new meade refractor under fairly dark skies. I really miss the days when i was easily satisfied even under not so dark (Mersing) skies...haha.... :wink: