I am a newbie to astro

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

I am a newbie to astro

Post by IceAngel »

hehe.. hi ppl.. this is my first post.. as for a beginner, wat telescope should i be using and where can i find them??

where is the place which is suitable for seeing stars?
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi IceAngel
Welcome to SingAstro. Pls refer to the FAQ i have just posted. :) To see stars, join CSN. Details in Events forum.

cc
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro again... :D The following are the website of vendors that sell telescope in singapore:
1) http://www.astro.com.sg/
2) http://www.harlequinastronomics.com/
3) http://www.mcgill.com.sg/
4) http://www.star-matrix.com/

For a beginner, a refractor or MCT may be the most suitable scope, because it require the least maintainence and collimation (alignment of optics).

Hope the above information is useful to you. Have a nice day. :)

=========
Yang Weixing
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

i wanna buy new scope too!!! look here look there changing my mind almost every other day is driving me crazy!! want a small 80mm scope but cant find one i really like, troubled a lot of people along the way too haiz :( now considering orion 80mm.. but heard china scope is not very consistent.. haiz. can anyone tell me if nighthawk is good?

~huiting~
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

starfirez wrote:i wanna buy new scope too!!! look here look there changing my mind almost every other day is driving me crazy!! want a small 80mm scope but cant find one i really like, troubled a lot of people along the way too haiz :( now considering orion 80mm.. but heard china scope is not very consistent.. haiz. can anyone tell me if nighthawk is good?

~huiting~
I owned SV scopes before....I think it's a good deal. I am sure the nighthawk is a good scope but it will surely perform like a typical achromat. The only thing is getting this scope. SV may not sell directly to you..so the best way is to get through Joseph O'Neil of Canada.

For the price, why don't you wait for the Orion 80mm ED? So far the reports on this scope have been great.
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

We have a used Stellarvue AT1010 unit (now renamed / repackaged as the Nighthawk) for sale, as well as some brand new units of the classy and elegant Megrez 80 you may want to consider. Contact us if you are interested in viewing either.

Harlequin Astronomics, Singapore.
http://www.harlequinastronomics.com
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

may i know wat equipment is good for newbie like me??? and where can i get it?? and wat brands are there availiable in the market.. :?
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

IceAngel wrote:may i know wat equipment is good for newbie like me??? and where can i get it?? and wat brands are there availiable in the market.. :?
Ok , IceAngel....here are a few questions. Answer them and it will give us an idea what to recommend to you

1) Is portability important? Do you drive or you have use public transport?
2) Do you have any preference in telescope design? Or any scope will do?
3) What is your budget? how much are you willing to spend?

Answer those first.
IceAngel

Post by IceAngel »

1) i use public transport as i am still a student..
2) actually any scope will do...
3) i also dunno wat will the scope price.. when i know the price, then i can set budget.. i need a range 1st.. coz i scare i will give an unreasonable price..
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

IceAngel wrote:1) i use public transport as i am still a student..
2) actually any scope will do...
3) i also dunno wat will the scope price.. when i know the price, then i can set budget.. i need a range 1st.. coz i scare i will give an unreasonable price..
There are two scopes I will recommend to you. One is an 80mm refractor which I think is a good starter scope with very good portability. Another one is a 5" Mak, very good value, but bigger than the 80mm refractor so portability will be a little more of a hassle than the 80mm scope.

Both with a camera tripod should be less than $1K. To buy the 5" scope, you can look for McGill. If you want the 80mm refractor, I think Samuel of harlequinn astronomics has one for sale at a very good price. Maybe just the one you need.