Earthshine Photos

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
chrisyeo

Earthshine Photos

Post by chrisyeo »

The sky was clear tonight and the moon was really spectacular, with the earthshine clearly obvious to the naked eye. Here are some photos I took:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chrisyeo on Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Here's a closeup.

For those who don't know, earthshine is light that reflects off the earth unto the moon and back on to us again.

Cheers,
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Nice shot, Chris. I gather from the false colour that you did not use the 6" reflector? Any details on the exposure or equipment used?

Kay Heem
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Thanks Kay Heem,

The pictures were taken directly with my digital camera, since I was out and had it with me.

Here are the details for the photos:
Earthshine2: Exposure 10"; ISO 100;3x Optical Zoom
Earthshine1: Exposure 1"; ISO auto; 3x zoom; exposure compensation +2
Earthshine3: 6"; ISO 100; 12x zoom (4x digital);

I balanced the camera on the roof of a car and used the self-timer to take the shots. The camera is an Ixus 500.

Cheers,
Chris
Dark Prince

Post by Dark Prince »

Hi,
Can we tell just by looking at the moon that we're seeing an Earthshine? How? If not, then how do you recognise an Earthshine??

Thanks.
-K
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Dark Prince wrote:Hi,
Can we tell just by looking at the moon that we're seeing an Earthshine? How? If not, then how do you recognise an Earthshine??

Thanks.
-K
Hi Dark Prince,
By process of elimination. There's no other lightsource there except for reflected light from earth. the stars probably add a little but I doubt we can actually distinguish it.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Dark Prince,

All you have to do is for example look out tonight for the moon. On certain evenings when the sky is clear and the moon is a crescent, you will still be able to notice a faint outline of the full moon. What you are seeing is earthshine.

Cheers,
Chris