LXD 75/SN8 First light

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

LXD 75/SN8 First light

Post by kochu »

Hi all,

Finally I could take out the LXD 75/SN8 for the first light out on 21 st to Tanjong Beach Sentossa. I liked the site very much. A wooden plank will help very much to set the tripod on sand.

Though I was not keen on imaging due to the moon light , Matthew encouraged me to give a try.

One each image taken through SN8 and LXD 90 (earlier) is posted in the Album section . It helps to compare the wide field effect of SN8 and the detail that can be obtained using LX 90. Both images are not fully processed.(Lot more work to do)

The GOTO and tracking of LXD 75 is good. Thre star alignment was used and it gave a good pointing accuracy.

Tracking was better than my expectations, as with out drift alignment 45 sec shots could be taken.

An image of M42 taken on 5 th Jan 05 is also posted. Processing is far from satisfactory as the central core is over saturated. I will try and post a better image after proper processing , later.

Details of SN 8 Image of Eta Carena: LXD 75-SN8/Canon 300D/ISO 1600/Stock RAW/20 images of 45 Secs

Details of LX 90 Image of Eta Carena: LX90-SCT 8/Canon 300D/ISO 1600/Stock RAW/5 images of 30 Secs.

Details of LX 90 Image of M42: LX 90-SCT8/Canon 300D/ISO 1600/Stock RAW/20 images of 30 Secs

Kochu/23-1-05
=========
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Details of SN 8 Image of Eta Carena: LXD 75-SN8/Canon 300D/ISO 1600/Stock RAW/20 images of 45 Secs
The image look weird... :k-?: The stars at the left look pin-point, but the stars near the nebula (right of the image) seem to leave a small trials... hmm... Is it because the tracking is not accurate or is it cause by coma??
Details of LX 90 Image of Eta Carena: LX90-SCT 8/Canon 300D/ISO 1600/Stock RAW/5 images of 30 Secs.
Hmm... Why the sky background colour at the edge suddenly change from blueish to black and the image look like been tilt... hmm... is it cause by stacking??
Details of LX 90 Image of M42: LX 90-SCT8/Canon 300D/ISO 1600/Stock RAW/20 images of 30 Secs
This M42 image is nice... :)

Anyway, all your image are really nice!!! Good job and keep the image coming!! :goodjob: :goodjob:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kochu

LXD 75/SN8

Post by kochu »

Hi Weixing,

Thanks for the comments . My opinion as follows.
---------------
The image look weird... :k-?: The stars at the left look pin-point, but the stars near the nebula (right of the image) seem to leave a small trials... hmm... Is it because the tracking is not accurate or is it cause by coma??

Unquote
------------------------

I think it was not a tracking problem . Probably the reasons are.

1. The RA axis of the mount is not yet aligned with the optical axis of the OTA. This has to be done during daytime using some typical terrestrial objects at a good distance. Unfortunately I do not have a view for doing this from my house. So the images can be skewed.
2. I did not have a 2 inch adaptor for Canonn T-Mount on 21 st and there was heavy vignetting.
3. it may be just because one or two images in the stack were not aligned properly.
-----------------------------------

Hmm... Why the sky background colour at the edge suddenly change from blueish to black and the image look like been tilt... hmm... is it cause by stacking??

Unquote
------------------

Again there was heavy vignetting due to wrong use of T-mount adaptor.
Probably these defects may disappear with proper, patient processing.
That is for another day with plenty of spare time to fool around......

----------------

Kochu/24-1-05
kochu

Eta carena

Post by kochu »

Hi all,

Matthew was kind enough to process my RAW stock take through SN8. Thanks to him. The image speaks for itself about his expertise.

Kochu/24-1-05
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swee sin

Post by swee sin »

good one! nice shot!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
WOW! :k-woohoo: Must ask Matthew to write an article on Astrophotography and image processing!!!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: