question about how to live on another planet

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Ekezial

Post by Ekezial »

Anyone read books from Larry Niven? Truly out of this world enviroments in some of his books. read his ringworld series and the smoke ring stories.

i say he's the master of Scifi and he has a a kind of humour that i like! check this article out:

http://www.larryniven.org/stories/Man_o ... leenex.htm
Shannon
Dark Prince

Re: question about how to live on another planet

Post by Dark Prince »

mint_greentea wrote:hi, i am new here!
have a question about living on other planets...
especially on (if there is any theory) planets that rotates sideways (like Uranus)...
I didn't know Uranus rotates sideways. Um, what do you mean by sideways anyway? What other ways do planets rotate?
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

Read below:

Axis tilt occurs when a planet’s rotational axis is tilted relative to the plane of its revolution around a larger object. Put simply, that means that the “top” of the planet, as defined by its rotation, is tilted. If a planet is titled in our solar system that means that sometimes the top of the planet faces the Sun and sometimes it faces away as it revolves around the Sun.
The Earth is tilted by 23.5 degrees, which means that sometimes the northern hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun and sometimes it is tilted away from the Sun. This tilt of a planet is what gives us seasons.

Not all the planets have the same amount of tilt. Jupiter, for instance, has almost no tilt (3 degrees), while Venus has almost 180 degrees of tilt, which means that it’s spinning upside-down (at least relative to our definition of up). Uranus has a tilt of almost 90 degrees, which means that this planet is spinning on its side!