Solar cycle 25

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
superiorstream

Re: Solar cycle 25

Post by superiorstream »

It look like the region that I spotted as active had evolve into active sunspot 2778.Its form suggests that there are quite some upcoming activities.
Do take a look. This sunspot is worth looking at.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Had been watching sunspot 2778 and 2779 for the past 3 days. One of the most active so far.
On ~0.5A,namely double stacked, 2 more active seen but didn't materialise into sunspot. Prominence at edge only seen on the 1st day.
Today sunsspot had rotated out of view.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Quickly pls take a look at the sun if you have a Ha double stack. Sunspot 2781 has a explosion feature...... Centre bright with plane surrounding, then further out some bright filament coming out. Fantastic view....... Frankly my first time seeing such feature.
Really the sun is fulll of surprises.
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Post by yltansg »

Thanks Mr Chia for the alert. Unfortunately I missed it and it had been cloudy most of the time :(

The Sunspots are still marching across the face of the Sun. The following pictures are from NASA and Lebedev Physical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences:

Apollo, a friend of mine in Naperville, Illinois, United States caught Active Region (AR) 2781 on 6 Nov 2020 using a narrow-band Calcium-K filter (his own invention) on a 127mm refractor at 3960mm FL:

For those who are keen to know how Apollo did it, I will be glad to put you in touch with him.

Like what Mr Chia had said, let's get our gear ready to watch this spectacular event.

Alfred
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Thanks Alfred for the reply and photo. Sunspot 2781. is now facing earth DIRECTLY. Will be interesting if powerful flare takes place.
Its shape is constantly changing with 3 majoy regions.
Hope tomorrow sky is clear.....and those with double stacked scope, don't miss it.!
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

An update on the Sunspot 2781. 11Nov, 9am. It has gone smaller but still has potential for further flares

This H-Alpha image was taken with a Celestron C11 telescope fitted with an Energy Rejection filter on its front and a Daystar Chromosphere at the rear. Sun was covered with a thin layer of clouds. Was surprised that I could still get this image.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

This is another image from this morning imaging session. This area is near the Sunspot. The wavy fibrils are a tell tale sign of immense magnetic field concentration there.

It was spectacular to behold.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Thanks Alfred for the reply and nice photos. Both in Ha double stack and Cak, the sunspot activity region is still huge and populated by bright filaments...... Both showed almost identical bright regions.
However, in white light or 540nm,2781 had become a very small dot sunspot with a small penumbra surrounding it..... totally unimpressive.
By the way, '' made''a small double stack solar scope today using a 60mm lens from zwo 60/280.This made it much lighter than my previous 80mm/f10 and hence easier to handle at my old age, yet with the same clarity . Thanks the nice gentleman who sole me the scope.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

By the way, my Ha double stack clearly indicates that 2 regions of the sun are active without sunspot showing up.....
A) a region in the north moving parallel to this 2781 sunspot
B) a region of bright active '' belt shaped'' just rotated
into view. Its in the same southern belt as sunspot 2781.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

We had less clouds today. This is how the light emitted by hydrogen atoms from sunspot 2781 looks in H-Alpha wavelength (red light) at 7:50am, as it makes it way to the western limbs.

It is definitely not going to be swallowed by the sea of fibrils.

And in Calcium-K wavelength (extreme violet light, from ionised Calcium atoms), looking into the lower atmosphere of the Sun,

The photos are taken in black and white to achieve the best contrast.

Alfred