M46 with Plantery Nebula NGC 2438

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

M46 with Plantery Nebula NGC 2438

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Another image taken from yesterday (11 - 12 Feb 2005) observation session using my Sky-Watcher 150 F5 Newtonian and Canon 300D:
http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=363

It is the open cluster M46. The Planetary Nebula (NGC 2438) is also visible!

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

great image, weixing! great tracking as well. is this processed or raw?
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wow..very nice Weixing.
is this a true colour image? puzzled by the good balanced mixture of white and blue stars. any chance of blowing up the planetary. looks great in this picture....
see...you don't need to sell your 6" away! :lol:

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
great image, weixing! great tracking as well. is this processed or raw?
It is after stacking of 3 images (114s + 64s + 30s @ ISO800) and heavily processed using Photoshop.
is this a true colour image? puzzled by the good balanced mixture of white and blue stars.
It should not be true colours... it is the colours my Canon 300D take. I think you can only take true colour by taking 3 separate monochrome exposures through red, green and blue filters and combine them together. Also, the RAW image got a milky layer on it... I think cause by light pollution. I remove it after heavily processing using Photoshop, but it cause the orange stars look whiter :(
any chance of blowing up the planetary. looks great in this picture....
It actually quite big in the actual size image... it just a small blue round patch anyway:
http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=364
see...you don't need to sell your 6" away!
It is actually a very good scope... better quality than I thought, but I always taking others people car and the scope take up a lots of space in their car :oops: , so still thinking of selling it away and get a smaller physical size scope that won't take up so much space.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: