WTB: Meade ETX90EC/AT (or 105, 125)

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
ebeyonder

WTB: Meade ETX90EC/AT (or 105, 125)

Post by ebeyonder »

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a complete ETX90AT (or 105, 125) system with the #884 field tripod and #497 Autostar controller. The thing is, I'm currently in the US and can buy these telescopes brand new but the only thing that's stopping me from doing so is the high shipping costs back to Singapore :) Thus, I'm hoping to find a seller in Singapore who is looking to sell at below the prices I am looking here in the US. Thanks a lot for reading.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
Unless you buying the ETX125, you can save alot of money buying it second hand there. Throw away the box. Put the scope in a cushioned backpack and hand carry it on the aircraft. the rest of the stuff you pack into a smaller box and send back via surface mail. I think Arief has transported the C8 this way before so the ETX should not be an issue. ETX are alot cheaper there due to low shipping cost within the US.
Can also ask EuWen (DEW) as he bought his complete ETX125 set from the US.

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
ebeyonder

Post by ebeyonder »

Hi, thanks for your reply... currently a brand new ETX90, 105, 125 comes with a free LPI imager and Autostar Suite here. I checked Telescopes.com, their ETX90 with UTHC, tripod and autostar will actually be cheaper than a lot of the 2nd hand ones on eBay (minus away the cost of the LPI, which I intend to purchase as well)... so that's why I thought of buying it first hand here. But thanks for the shipping suggestion. Surface shipping for the whole thing is 60 but I wasn't sure that the scope would survive but if I do get the scope here, I think I'll do as u suggest and take the scope separately. Thanks!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

most important is to verify with the airline they allow you to take the scope onboard...some goons may think its some sort of thermo nuclear device!
I also think the ETX125 with mount may be a tad too heavy to be allowed to be hand carried on board.
ebeyonder

Post by ebeyonder »

Btw I read that u have an ETX105... can u tell me how it performs in Singapore? Basically I'm just a raw beginner and I hope to take some pics of the planets and the moons using the LPI. I figured the Autostar would help a lot.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

ebeyonder wrote:Btw I read that u have an ETX105... can u tell me how it performs in Singapore? Basically I'm just a raw beginner and I hope to take some pics of the planets and the moons using the LPI. I figured the Autostar would help a lot.
Hi,

The ETX105EC performs exactly as specified, a 4" aperture scope with a relatively small obstruction, UHTC coating for better light transmission with oversized primary mirror.
Optics is excellent. Only imiting factor is the aperture. None of the images are anywhere near those seen on 8" scope which is why people keep on upgrading here...:-)

The ETX90 is the most portable goto scope. easily transported and those "senior" members will remember CC's long missed old ETX90EC.
IMHO, the ETX125 is a tad heavy for my liking but if I had to buy a 5" scope, the ETX would be it....ok...mabye the nexstar5 too..heh heh
The ETX105 was chosen based on its compromise between the portability of the 90 and the aperture improvement of the 105.
I had a lot of fond memories with this scope after I settled the initial problems I have with it.
Once on a clear night 1-2 yeas back, I literally went through all the M objects ! I'm generally happy with its performance but once you look through the eyepiece of an 8" scope, you get very itchy......VERY itchy....heh heh

As for astrophotos, the ETX was never designed for that purpose and its a very slow scope. However, that has not stopped people from doing so.
You can see my pathetic efforts on the yahoogroup version of singastro as well as at www.pbase.com/airconvent .
Of course , excellent efforts can be seen on the Mighty ETX website
www.weasner.com.

rich

ps

For those who missed CC's "meat grinder" ETX, you can catch it here....! :lol:
http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&col ... 9910083706