Solar cycle 25

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: Solar cycle 25

Post by yltansg »

superiorstream wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:13 am Hi Alfred and all solar observer

In Cak..... 2 regions glowing with crack like structure..... One at 2793 region, rotating out of view and another at 2794. The one at 2794 has 2 brighter patch., one of which is responsible for yesterday's Cak prominence.

Alfred photo is a very good close up of 2794. It's also interesting that in the 2nd photo, the new sunspot shows up. Will be looking for that tomorrow, weather permitting. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Hi Mr Chia and solar observers, here is another view of AR2794 taken on 23 Dec, 9am. I am testing a SCT corrector. The results look promising. The penumbra fibrils are starting to resolve nicely. This is the first time I have achieved such resolution. Thanks to a friend living in naperville, illinois,:

Let us look at the full solar disk to appreciate the zoom-in image:
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred and all interested in solar
A comparison of obs in 25,27,28 Dec 2020
In 540nm...... 2794,2795 visible.
2794 has a comma type umbra that eventually shorten its tail till dec 28 it become a small sharp end.
2795 is more interesting. The bigger spot first show up as a umbra with 2 black patch., then grow to 3 patch and on 28 dec split to 4,one above the other...... a real interesting umbra. The penumbra is wider at the top and narrow downat the bottom. The other spot initially has a single core but by 28 dec split into two., surrounded by a penumbra.
In cak..... For all 3 days, 2,794 and 2795 together ic surrounded by glowing 'cracks' that stretch more than 500,000km......half to 1/3 the length of the southern belt.
In Ha..... Same active regions as in cak but different combinations of filaments every day.
Prominence also visible at edge changing profile daily.
As for the northern belt, at least 2 filaments and a daily change of prominence profile.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Dear Mr Chia and solar enthusiasts,

We saw the Sun yesterday after a long time. The solar disk in Calcium-K (from SDO) was rather featureless:

Under a 11" aperture SCT, fitted with necessary energy rejection and CAK filters the zoom-in picture of the bright spots showed super granulations, areas of intense magnetic field concentration. Don't think there will be much eruptive actions till mid of next week where a large active region is coming in the Southern hemisphere.

Please do a click-right and click on the "+" magnifier to see the image with CAK grains in its full resolution.

Alfred
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

20Jan21. These new sunspots, imaged in Calcium-K wavelength have been shooting out C-class flares and getting increasingly interesting to observe:

Alfred
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

To Alfred
Thanks for bringing my attention to those soho pictures. After much comparison with what I saw with my doublestack, I notice that the view is similar except that my scope give me views of DISTRIBUTION OF FILAMENTS ON THE SUN AND PROMINENCE IF ANY. This will indicate how and where the solar surface is '' boiling''.
Next.... Today's sun.
In Cak.... Northern belt now showing start of activity. One east and one west small glowing region. The southern belt has a hugh cak glowing region stretching almost 1/3 of the whole belt.
In Ha..... Similar to the cak view with the southern belt active region has filaments in the southern fringe. As for the northern belt, the one rotating out of view show a good display of filaments.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

superiorstream wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:36 am
Next.... Today's sun.

In Ha..... ... As for the northern belt, the one rotating out of view show a good display of filaments.
This is a belated posting for 25 Jan 21:
From Spaceweather.com

The right AR 2799 was captured with a C11 fitted with a Quark HA chromosphere:

On the left, there is a new AR:

The Sun was relatively quiet since.....
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

The sun for the pass 2 days were complete without even bright patches.... Only some very small prominence at the northern belt edge and one dotted filament at the south. Really inactive.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Just finish obs the sun
Featureless except for
1....prominence at both east and west adge., small.
2.....small filaments., one in northern belt, one in southern belt.....
Only visible in 0.5A.
Very inactive sun.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

The Sun was rather spotless today, as reported by Mr Chia. I did a Calcium-K survey in high resolution, using a Celestron C11.

Even in such a quiet session, the supergranulations are quite a sight to behold. To see them, please do a right click and then press "+" to see the image in its full resolution.

Alfred
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Today 12 feb 2021
In Ha.0. 5A bandwidth .... One long filament in the southern belt, 1/3 the full length of the whole belt headed by a bright small region.The edge of this region is accompanied by very small prominence.
A tall prominence with 2 bright source is also visible at the northern sun.
In Cak...... That bright region looks in ha looks like a bright crack on the sun.
In 540nm.....spotless sun
Looks like the boiling sun is back.