My astrophotography 2021

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Re: My astrophotography 2021

Post by hhzhang »

Feb 7-8 saw another clear night with very thin high clouds. Headed for ECP again for the unblocked view facing south.

A take of M46-M47, inspired by Celeron787's recent effort.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Gamma Velorum region is rich in extraordinary stars.

The Gam Vel itself is a complex star system, with the main component stars of WR and O types. The hottest (bluest) bright star visible to the unaided eyes.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

NGC2516, a.k.a. Southern Beehive, lies further south.

Only in hindsight (postprocessing), I realised that the optics got some particles in the light path and created an irregular background. Had to sacrifice the dim stars to make them disappear apparently.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Before all these deep sky takes, I actually tried to capture some small size constellations/asterisms through the Sigma Art 50mmF1.4. The clouds are clearly present even in the short subs. But the images are to a certain extend saved by the soft-focus filter in place.

Canopus, the 2nd brightest star.

Yet it seems very lonely for lack of bright companions even in this wide field of view.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

The Lepus, a constellation fits well into the 50mm len's FOV. A notable star is R Leporis, one of the super deep-red stars.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Surely the Canis Major makes a much better picture thanks to the richness in bright stars and clusters.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

I also took time to shot planets/asteroids, in a mini long-term project for tracking these solar system objects.

I originally planned to get back to the same place to shoot the moon rise and attempt the moon-occultation-of-lagoon-nebula. Just could not wake up!
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

Very nice pictures keep it up! Thanks for sharing :)
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

The most fruitless session this morning. The high thin clouds and those low clouds hanging over the eastern horizon destroyed my plan for some moonrise shot and Milkyway core shot.

Tomorrow morning the moon will be too close to the sun for any chance of a moonrise shot. Hence today was the last chance.

When I had packed up and about the leave for home (ah, need to drive kids to school), the thin crescent moon finally appeared. Didn't have the time to redo the scope setup, so I chose to take the view with a 50mm lens only.

Will see the Moon next time in the year of ox.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Welcome the new sun and the new moon at the beginning of the Year of Ox.