My astrophotography 2021

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
celeron787

Re: My astrophotography 2021

Post by celeron787 »

hhzhang wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:48 pm
If I had bothered to use dithering and flat frames (oh I was so tired and sleepy then), I might have uncovered a little bit more detail. Total 30x120s subs. Other than the above, it could go better if I would wait for the target to rise to a higher altitude (less glow), or get the guiding more accurate. Due to the winds, the guiding error was quite terrible.

I am not so sure about the seeing condition or the transparency of the atmosphere. But at the same location, I could not see mag 4+ stars yesterday that I was able to on some nights late last year.
May I know what are you powering your equipment with, also your full setup? I understand that your dedicated astro cam will need a 12v power supply.
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Post by hhzhang »

celeron787 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm
If I had bothered to use dithering and flat frames (oh I was so tired and sleepy then), I might have uncovered a little bit more detail. Total 30x120s subs. Other than the above, it could go better if I would wait for the target to rise to a higher altitude (less glow), or get the guiding more accurate. Due to the winds, the guiding error was quite terrible.

I am not so sure about the seeing condition or the transparency of the atmosphere. But at the same location, I could not see mag 4+ stars yesterday that I was able to on some nights late last year.
May I know what are you powering your equipment with, also your full setup? I understand that your dedicated astro cam will need a 12v power supply.
Yes I need a 12V battery pack to power the mount and the astrocam. Currently I have two, one in the form of a simple DIY style battery pack rated 9600mAh - a local product bought on carousell. The other is a portable battery power station that can supply both 12V DC and 220V AC. Mine is rated 24Ah.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

celeron787 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm

I currently have three mounts portable. CEM40 for a 115mmAPO and future scope hopefuls. SmartEQ for 70mmF6 APO and a few camera lenses. Finally the star tracker that sees little use now. Camera wise I use ASI2600MC, ASI183MM and Canon M50.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Sunset. Simple and tranquil

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Now the two gas giants have moved far west of Sun to be easily visible in the dawn skies. Adding to the two is Mercury -- wow, it was just in my evening shot on Jan 23 (see an earlier picture in this thread). It is really amazing to witness how fast this guy moves around the sun.

And the two gas giants were in the evening skies when we were shooting their great great conjunction back in Dec'21. It has been less than two months. Does it mean they also move very fast? Hmm, not really. Simply the Sun itself has been moving steadily.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

2021-2-21 Went down to a lookout place along TMCR. Very disappointed by the enormous floodlights not far in the south-west. The targets were in the south to south-east but the skies were glowed by the artificial lights. Lost is a potential site for darker sky astro stuff.

The Narrow-bands filter L-eNhance came to the rescue -- sort of.

1st target: the carina nebula to the running chicken field. A very rich field.

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

The Crux and the running chicken nebula

hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

To the further east of Crux was found our two neighboring stars, Alpha and Beta Centaurus.

celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

Very nice set of images, seems like a rewarding session!
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

celeron787 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 pm Very nice set of images, seems like a rewarding session!
I think it is more rewarding in terms of learning. Like more experiences of autoguiding the Sky Adventure tracker and drift polar alignment with PHD2. My Smart Eq. mount has the RA and the control/drive board malfunctional, so the tracker has become my super portable mount of choice for the time being.

But I have not yet figured out how to get the flat frames correct for my 105mmF2.5 lens. Need to learn, try and practice more.