Astrophotography with telephoto lens

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Traveler

Astrophotography with telephoto lens

Post by Traveler »

Hi everyone,

I intend to mount a 400mm telephoto as a piggyback on an equatorial mount for astrophotography. Question is, does the lens need to be pointed exactly or very close to where the guide scope is pointing? If not, would it result in arcing stars? Hope to get some advice from u guys out there. Thanks for reading :D

Clear Skies
Weixiong
universe24

Post by universe24 »

"does the lens need to be pointed exactly or very close to where the guide scope is pointing? "
If possible, yes. But usually, we point the lens to the object we plan to take then point the guidescope to a star as near to target as possible.
If not, your alignment must be very accurate to avoid any errors that might occur.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Here's a pic of something similar I intend to setup.

[web]http://www.netway.com/%7Edboyle/tamron.html[/web]
tanguan2001

Post by tanguan2001 »

I don't worry about whether the guidescope is pointing in the same direction as the lens at all. Should still track OK.

TG
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Hi guys, thanks for your advice. I'll get back to you guys if the pics turn out successful. Meanwhile i'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Clear Skies